.223 Rem

Canuck68

I have a Weatherby Vanguard sporter and was looking for some load suggestions for the up coming gopher season. I was thinking of trying the 40gr or 50gr V-Max bullet, but cannot decide on a good powder to start with. I heard that Ramshot TAC is very clean burning. Also, I know it is not reloading related, but any suggestions on a scope?

I have a Weatherby Vanguard sporter and was looking for some load suggestions for the up coming gopher season. I was thinking of trying the 40gr or 50gr V-Max bullet, but cannot decide on a good powder to start with. I heard that Ramshot TAC is very clean burning. Also, I know it is not reloading related, but any suggestions on a scope?

I don't own a .223 personaly but I have a freind that dose, He use wsr primer, winchester brass, and H335. This is what he loads them to they don't look to be max so id work up to them, im not shure what kind of groups hes getting with these loads either.

40 gr V Max 27 gr H335
55 gr SP 22.5 gr H335
55 gr V Max 22.5 gr H335
60 grHP 21.5 grH335
Good luck!

Last edited:
I've had exceptional luck with 40 gr BT and 25 gr of Win 748 loaded out to magazine length in my 223 (longer than the book COL).

Mine wears a 4-12 5 Star Redfield and is plenty of scope for p-dogs and yotes. Anything with 12-14 on the upper end in a decent or better scope will work fine for gophers out to 300 or so. Burris FFII Tactical, used Redfields, Nikons, Weavers, Loopys, etc will all work fine for your intended use. Longer range will demand a different bullet and scope...

Wind really affects this bullet, so 300's about the limit for it in mine, but deadly on p-dogs. Should be good medicine on gophers, too.

Have fun,
Brian

Last edited:
Iam loading 52g smk with 25.5g varget and getting 1/2" and less groups @100. This is in a savage 112. Hope this helps. The 223 is alot of fun to play around with.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts