223 for the job?

MTNRaine

Well as the days wind down to me graduating, i think it might be a good idea for me to invest in a 223 b4 becoming a broke college kid for 5 years.:D im looking for something that will be able to perform on gophers(richardson ground squirrels) out to 400 max more like 250 average an on coyotes out to 500. I dont want to go custom. id like to have an AR but cant afford that or wait that long:D. So was either thinkin a tikka t3 varmint or savage and of couse it has to be lefthanded. Also wat optics would u top it with. So any opinions or ideas are welcome.
THX
Midget

I have a Tikka T3 Varmint and cannot say enough good things about it. .3 MOA out of the box with factory Hornady ammo. I put a Bushnell Elite 3200 on it and have had nothing but fun. The only reason I bought this gun is because a guy in my skeet club was selling it for an incredible deal and I couldn't pass it up.
I had never owned a centerfire smaller than a 270 Win and had no idea how much fun I'd have shooting a small accurate cartridge.
I spend more time with it than all my larger guns put together.

Buy the Tikka!

Last edited:
For your application you cant go wrong with a T3 varmint. The 1moa guarantee doesn't hurt either. Just dont skimp on the optics. I've seen too many guys buy a great rifle then call it junk because their wonderbutt BSA 900x magnification scope didn't hold zero.

Haven't shot Tikka's but every savage I've shot does very well. I am currently using a 12FV in .223 for pdogs here in Colorado. Stock barrel with a B&C tactical stock and Bushnell Elite 3200 10x tactical. The scope has really decent glass and repeatable adjustments (box tested). It's rig that won't break the bank and will do what you are wanting. I've scored kills out to 500yrds with 60gr Vmax handloads.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.