.223 bullet options

JPHunter

G'day,

I've just picked up a sauer 100 in .223 with a 1:10 twist. It is mostly for shooting varmints like foxes, hares etc. I would like the ability to be able to shoot deer if the opportunity arises.

Just wondering what experience people have had with .223 in 1:10 twist and some bullet options that may be suitable. I may never shoot a deer with it, and if I did would limit myself to shots I deem acceptable.

I have seen a red hind shot with a 55 grain soft point out of a howa 1500 .223 years ago, she ran about 60 yards and fell over dead.

Preference is for factory ammunition, I can handload but really can't be bothered these days unless I really have to. Three little kids and a house with lots of work needed takes up my former free time.

I would find some Barnes ammo for deer and any varmint loaded ammo for small critters. 1-10 twist should be fine for anything up to 65 grain maybe a little heavier.

1685106963434.png

Federal Premium Nosler Partition 60 gr.

The Nosler Partition was the first bullet loaded in the Federal Premium line, and it continues to be a standard for consistency and reliability. Its partitioned lead core allows the front half of the bullet to mushroom on impact, but it helps to keep the back half intact for deeper penetration. This is a respected bullet that's excellent for medium-size game at close to mid-ranges, out to a few hundred yards.

https://www.gunsandammo.com/editorial/223-ammo-deer-hunting/452087

I've used this bullet in a .223 Rem when hunting Mule deer on the desert. Works quite well out to about 200 yards. But precision shot placement is imperative, neck or heart.

Enjoy the search!

:)

Hornadys 53 vmax superformance load punches way above its pay grade in this chambering, high bc for bullet weight and higher than standard velocity, explosive terminal performance

Wouldn't recommend it for deer except behind the shoulder lung shooting or CNS hits.

I load 53 vmax for my AR15, it's my go to for varmints/ yotes. But if deer were in the menu and I wanted to use one ammo for everything then I'd use either a Hornady Spire point or a Nosler Ballistic Tip, both bullets being in the 55 gr class. Ideally I'd shoot 53 vmax ammo for varmints and 60 gr Nosler Partition for deer.

69 tmk has 10 twist minimum and has great gel results. I've heard fusion is good performance