222 Remington anyone?

therifleman556

I just picked up a sweet little Sako A1 in triple deuce. From what I understand this rifle is about 30 years old and wears a like-vintage Leupold VX-compact 2-7. The previous owner claims to have only put 10 rounds thru it. I'll load some pictures later. My question for you folks that load these is about seating depth. I've got enough magazine length to seat 53 grain V-Maxes to the rifling, but that leaves the bullet only about 40% into the case neck (not counting the boat tail). Do you still load close to the lands, or seat them deeper for concentricity? I'll obviously do a seating depth test, I'm just wondering what other people have found.

Coincidence, this morning my son brought a new friend to shoot with us on the desert. The guy had a Savage/Anschultz in 222 Remington. Very accurate with factory ammo and a really nice looking rifle. He said he had inherited it from his dad's brother and had a 6X fixed scope. Nice little caliber. I would like to load some rounds for it.

The problem you're going to run into with that 53gr vmax is the bearing surface is so short on it that you can't vary the depth much without it being in or out too far. It's just not a good bullet to go chasing the lands with. I'd load it up so it's in the neck a decent amount and see how it shoots.

I thought they were flat-base bullets, usually it states on the package that they're boat tail and these did not. I think bearing surface might be tough to get on any bullet 55 grains or under, no? I also bought some Barnes 36 grain varmint grenades for around the farm use, those bullets lacking any lead are almost as long as the V-Maxes.

Yeah the 53gr vmax us a pretty slick little pill if your rifle likes it. They have a lot longer ogive than say a standard 55gr. You also need to watch out for the twist rate required for them as they're a pretty long bullet for their weight. They're .836" long vs a Hornady 55gr soft point coming in at .715". A 12 twist at 0 altitude and 59° running 3200fps won't stabilize them. A 9 twist or faster is really what's needed.

Well, I got a chance to take it out and shoot it with some of the factory loads I got with it. Five shots from Federal 50 grain went into about an inch. I'm not complaining though, I think there's great potential here with a trigger adjustment, hand loading, and maybe bedding. I don't know if I have enough ring height to put something like a 4-12x40mm on it, and I'm not sure I should given the rifles intended purpose. I can't upload pictures though, it says they're too big.

The problem you're going to run into with that 53gr vmax is the bearing surface is so short on it that you can't vary the depth much without it being in or out too far. It's just not a good bullet to go chasing the lands with. I'd load it up so it's in the neck a decent amount and see how it shoots.
most .222 Remingtons came with a 1:14 twist barrel. That's good for a B.C. of .26 at the most. Yet the 53 grain Vmax is .29. I had trouble with 52 and 53 grain match bullets from Sierra in the .222. Yet the 55 grain Vmax shot very well.

Like the .223, the round has always shot best with the bullet seated within .005" of the lands, if not touching the lands. Look for a bottle of BLC2, and shoot bug holes.
gary

most .222 Remingtons came with a 1:14 twist barrel. That's good for a B.C. of .26 at the most. Yet the 53 grain Vmax is .29. I had trouble with 52 and 53 grain match bullets from Sierra in the .222. Yet the 55 grain Vmax shot very well.

Like the .223, the round has always shot best with the bullet seated within .005" of the lands, if not touching the lands. Look for a bottle of BLC2, and shoot bug holes.
gary

I was thinking it was probably a 14, or possibly 12 twist, thus my 2nd post but wasn't sure as I haven't ever dealt with a .222. That would probably be why his factory ammo is 50gr.

I'm fairly certain it's 14" twist. I'll probably try the old Speer 52gr hollow point. I've got 55 TNTs, that's a fairly short bullet for it's weight. I got a good deal on one of the new Bushnell Engage 4-12 scopes, hopefully I'll have room over the barrel.

I'm fairly certain it's 14" twist. I'll probably try the old Speer 52gr hollow point. I've got 55 TNTs, that's a fairly short bullet for it's weight. I got a good deal on one of the new Bushnell Engage 4-12 scopes, hopefully I'll have room over the barrel.

the 55 grain Vmax comes in at about a .26 B.C., and shoots very well. I shoot them in a 14 twist Remington all the time with very good results (low fours). Have also shot them in a .222 NM that has a 14 twist barrel 15" long. They shoot high fives and very low sixes consistently. Try 23 grains of IMR 3031 and a good 55 grain bullet seated .005" off the lands.
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.