220 Swift, twist rate, barrel length

I've never said I had a 220 swift.

Only passed on what others have told me about theirs. Max loads and 1/2 to 3/4 inch groups at a hundred yards as I remember. Sierra Bullets claims good accuracy shooting 69 and 80 grain bullets from a Savage 1:14 twist 220 Swift barrel, both leaving at 3200 fps.

You are right and Sierra did use 1/14 twist Savage for the 220 Swift. Sierra manual for the 69gr HPBT MatchKing is little different and Sierra words "Requires a 1x10 twist barrel or faster".

Sierra manual for the 80gr HPBT MatchKing "Requires 1x8 twist barrel or faster"

There was 23 max loads for those bullets and only 7 of them reach 3200fps.

Sierra manual for the 22-250 they did same thing for the 69/80gr bullet and they use 1/14 but for the 22-250AI/22BR they use 1/8 for all test load but they did put warning about what twist for the 69/80 bullets.

Nosler manual has loading data for fast twist barrel 1/8 for the 22-250 and for the 220 Swift they use 1/14 but only show data for the 63gr. Speer manual for the 220 swift they do have loading data for 70gr bullet but they have a warning on front if using 1/14 twit barrel. Hornady manual also has warning for the 220 swift that their 60gr V-Max will not stablize in 1/14 twist barrel.

If you ever owned a 220 Swift with 1/14 twist barrel you would of read a manual.

Last edited:
I own a Remington 220 Swift, old rifle, by measurement looks to be a 1/14 twist. It's will not stabilize bullets in the 70 plus range (tried various manufactures) Accuracy is ok at 100 and then goes to hell at 2-300. It's marginal with the 69 grain Sierra MK and deadly with the 62 grain Sierra. It's been my experience that velocity does help with heavier bullets in looser twists but you need to test and test at 300 plus, to ensure stability. I have had the best luck with heavy for twist (supposedly) with Barnes. Lots of tails out there test for yourself.

If you ever owned a 220 Swift with 1/14 twist barrel you would of read a manual.
Why?

Never needed one for my first .308 Win, .30-06, .30-.338, and one 7mm Rem Mag given me to load for. Just asked those getting best results for their loads then used them. They all shot as good accuracy wise as theirs did. Manuals are nothing more than someone's observations put on paper. I like to get it straight from good horses' mouths.

Why?

Never needed one for my first .308 Win, .30-06, .30-.338, and one 7mm Rem Mag given me to load for. Just asked those getting best results for their loads then used them. They all shot as good accuracy wise as theirs did. Manuals are nothing more than someone's observations put on paper. I like to get it straight from good horses' mouths.

I think once a poster finds out that you don't have any real experience in answering their questions, I'm sure they take your answer for what it's worth.

After my first answer to their question, I've got experience answering it. So, by answering more of their questions, the more experience I have doing it.

I've always taken your answers to my questions for what they're worth.

After my first answer to their question, I've got experience answering it. So, by answering more of their questions, the more experience I have doing it.

I've always taken your answers to my questions for what they're worth.

You don't need to explain anything to me but the one's asking the question my question your experience once they know that you may of never owned or load for certain rifle.

Any time you want to meet at Byers and do little money betting @ 1000yds and I'm sure can get poster that live in Co to come watch. Talk is cheap.

Folks, I'm having a 220 Swift built. My idea is to have a 1-12 twist in a 24 inch barrel, shooting 50 to 60gr bullets. My question is that twist OK for the grain weight, and is the barrel length OK or would a 26 inch barrel be more accurate.

OR should I go for a 1-9 twist to handle 50 to 65 gr in a 24 inch barrel.

This will be my first Swift and will be used for target shooting relaxation and varmint reductions.

I have been shooting a Swift for a long time and it is my favourite .224 center fire cartridge. I have always had the 1-14" twist and have stuck with 40-60 grain weight bullets but most of my shooting is with 55 grainers. I used to get great accuracy with 60 grain nosler partitions years ago but the new ones don't shoot nearly as good best I could do with them is about 1-1/2" for 5 at 100 while reworking a load. I get good accuracy with the Barnes 53 grain tsx which Barnes recommends a 1-12" twist for but I don't have any issues with them. You have not said what you were going to be shooting with yours game wise but there are more than enough bullet types available to suit your needs. Since you are having this rifle built go with the 12 twist it will not hurt you in the least and I would go with a 26" barrel to get the performance advantage over the 24". If you are looking for load data I have tons and tons from over the years and you can PM me if you want as some of them are a fair bit over book stuff but have been worked up in my swift and are safe for me.

I have used pretty much every powder recommended for the old swifty and all the tried and true load combos but have settled on a powder that no one would think of using as they would consider it way too slow burning for the swift I won't post it cause I will get laughed at but it works for me and gives me a nice 3750 with a 55 and itty bitty groups so I am pretty happy.

I think you are going to love your swift once you get it up and running

So I am turning my barrel with a 1-12 twist for 50gr to 63gr. You guys think that this is a good choice. I am not going heavier.

buda build that 220 you'll love it ,I love mine ,hypersonic nailed it! mikecr ,I think you should apologize to j e custom, sometimes we word our thoughts wrong ,anyone can make a mistake , let's keep this Forum from degrading ,thks and Happy New Year !!! regards jjmp

jjmp, If I felt like apologizing is right I would.
But statements made earlier were so reckless, and so potentially costly to forum members, that dark flags were due.

Imagine someone picking up an understanding that high enough velocity means getting away with less twist. They get it from a friend, a forum, a magazine article,, -not the bullet maker.
They pay for a barrel & finishing and then chase their tail for months logging bad performance with this or that bullet, this or that condition. They might not even think 'stability' during load development(unless tumbling). When they do, they go back to forums and ask again, and they get "wrong twist", "you need to start over"!
And somehow it's obvious to everyone...

I don't want that happening to LRH members.
In my view they are better to go with bullet maker suggested, even if seemingly conservative.

My Swift is as you describe 12" twist; 24" barrel. It is built on a Savage action and has a Shaw barrel. I shoot 60gr Hornady V-Max over IMR4064. Unless you are going to shoot extremely long bullets in heavier weights the 12" twist will be perfect.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.