220 Swift and Hornady 88gr ELD match

TLC

Looking for load data for 220 Swift using the Hornady 88gr ELD match. I'm thinking of using IMR4831.

I was under the impression 220 Swift satay and 22-250 AI data were basically interchangeable. Might give you a place to start.

PS- the 88s hammer out of my 1:8 22/250 AI.

When you figure your predicted velocity out, calculate the RPM, I would expect it will exceed Hornady's limit which most likely will shred the jackets.

When you figure your predicted velocity out, calculate the RPM, I would expect it will exceed Hornady's limit which most likely will shred the jackets.

They've been fine up to 3200 FPS in my 1:8 twist. However, a 1:7 puts the RPMs into the 324k area which could cause issues.

It's a great bullet and they've shot really well for me. Killed a coyote and buck mule deer with that combo a couple weeks ago in Wyoming.

Dragoon300 and waspocrew are correct. I shoot the 88 ELDMs out of my 22-243 in the 3400 fps range with a 26" 1:8 barrel with excellent results. That works out to 306,000 rpm, I have read on other threads that the rpm is critical for these projectiles, and anything too much over 300k will cause bullet failure/loss of accuracy issues. A 1:7 barrel would give me 350k rpm at that velocity, so I think the twist rate of your barrel will dictate your ability to shoot these bullets. I use 44gr of H4831sc with Lapua brass for these results. The short cut version of this powder is so much easier to funnel into those little case mouths.

I also just assemble a 220 Swift with a 1-7 twist barrel. Now I'm getting worried about running the 73 ELD-M, 75 ELD-M, 80 ELD-M, or 77 TMK. Might have to stick to 88 if they don't blow up, or go with regular Match HPBT bullets. Might also have to give some of the custom all copper bullets a look.

Recent Posts