220 Swift Ackley Improved for 90 gr vld's...?

montanapaul

I am thinking of building up another 220 swift Ackley improved just for lobbing out 70 to 90 gr vdls. I know there are better choices out there for reaching out long range but I'm already all tooled up for this gun, plus I just love how it shoots. I was thinking of putting a gain twist barrel on a Savage Target Action – RB/LP...? Any thoughts out there on barrels, lengths & twist rates....? I mostly shoot Prairie dogs & coyotes. Looking for effective 900 to 1000 yard accuracy. I shoot 55 gr bullets now which are deadly accurate and effective out to around 500 yards. Any thoughts on the REMINGTON 700 SINGLE SHOT ACTIONS vs the Savage.. I see I can pick one up cheaper than a Savage action. I like the left hand port of the Savage action.

Last edited:
I have a 220 Swift AI also, its setup for the 52 gr SMK, I have kicked around that same idea When I have to re barrel.
I would love to hear how the project turns out! I liked the idea of the 90 vld You have plenty of case capacity the brass wouldn't be subject to much stretching due to the 40deg shoulder. With the added bullet weight you could use some much slower powders which might increase barrel life.
the semi rimmed cartridge seems to feed just fine from my Ruger 77 action.
The only thing that gives me pause is the almost complete lack of info about the setup.

I've done a similar build for myself and an actual Swift Ackley for a customer. He shoots 69grs @ 3700 but does not run the VLDs. Mine is a 22PDK (search here, I have several post about it)with 8 twist and I shoot the 80 gr A-max @ 3150 from a 23 inch barrel. It is VERY accurate and will kill wild hogs & deer at 500 yds with ease. I have also shot it at 1160 yards and kept 1MOA or less on steel and it rings it just fine.
The swift lends itself well to improving even though gains in velocity are minor. The accuracy, barrel and brass life will all be improved and dies are easily available. You will be very happy I'm sure. PM me if you need any more info.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.