Inherited 220 Swift Ackley Imp.

RODSTRADLEY

Inherited a very nice 220 Swift Ackley Imp. rifle from my fathers collection. After 3 nights of using Sweets, Butches and even Hoppe's I finally seen the lands and grooves and it doesn't look to good. It has a 1917 Rem receiver but no markings on the barrel other than 220 Swift Ackley Imp. Here are a few photos of the rifle and the bore but the chamber and the last half of the bore are good. Need advice.

Attachments

david g ranes

Swifts are notorious barrel burners no expert but the fire cracking doesn’t look as bad as some magnums I’ve seen it looks like a nice old gun I would clean a little more and shoot it if it were mine or don’t shoot it keep it for momento. David

RODSTRADLEY

Swifts are notorious barrel burners no expert but the fire cracking doesn’t look as bad as some magnums I’ve seen it looks like a nice old gun I would clean a little more and shoot it if it were mine or don’t shoot it keep it for momento. David
So David you think run a few light rounds through it an see the results? Rod

RODSTRADLEY

I would have shot it without even asking you guys but I bought this Teslomg bore scope and looked at the bore on it. Never seen one with all of the stress cracks like that.

shortgrass

Because of the time the rifle was built I would think the barrel has a 1-14 or maybe a 1-12 rate of twist. If 1-14 55g bullets will be it. If 1-12, you can go up to 60g. I don't normally recommend it, but if the barrel won't shoot, you might try a few of Tubbs Final Finish bullets to try to take the 'rough' off. Good luck, and let us know how it works out for you. I like to see those 'older' builds. Nice, "Tiger Stripped" Maple stock, there!

Trending threads

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce