Inherited 220 Swift Ackley Imp.

Rod -

Howdy !

Yeh..... if it's a 1-14, 55's would be a great choice.

You should also be able to shoot 60's.... as-long-as bullet length is < .750" .

How long is the barrel ? If it's 24" or longer, I recommend H4359, WW760 ( H414); and / or VV160.
Also.... be sure to give FED Large Magnum Rifle Match primers a try.

With regards,
357Mag

Rod -

Howdy !

How long is the barrel ? If it's 24" or longer, I recommend H4359, WW760 ( H414); and / or VV160.

With regards,
357Mag
Howdy to you!
It is 24" but I didn't check the twist. My dad always used 55sp so I will load some up and give it a try I have RL15, Varget, IMR-4064 and IMR-4895 I will try one of them

220 swift is one of my favorites. I'd shoot that thing and see how it groups. If you are grouping well, keep shooting and cleaning. That crackling is more likely a product of caliber, time and corrosion but may not hinder your groups. If it does shoot poorly, then rebarrel it. That is truly a rifle worth the effort. It's an awesome rifle, awesome caliber and the sentiment has got to be great. Hopefully you will hand it down as well

Wow! nice rifle and .220 Swift AI! King of the "varminters", for sure. I imagine that rifle gave him lots of enjoyment and pride throughout the years. You will always be your Dad's boy and he would want you to have the same. Enjoy it and just remember him.
Thanks Rod

Rod -

Howdy !

With regards,
357Mag
I took it out and it shot a 1/2 moa@100 and I am still cleaning, it's looking better!

how much difference in velocity between 220 swift and 220 AI
Using 41gr of IMR 4064 for the 220 AI @ 3880fps vs Max load of 38gr IMR 4064 for the 220 swift @ 3731 difference of 149fps as per Load Data.com It does not give a starting load and or a max load for the AI. Rod

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.