Inherited 220 Swift Ackley Imp.

357Mag

Rod -

Howdy !

Yeh..... if it’s a 1-14, 55’s would be a great choice.

You should also be able to shoot 60’s.... as-long-as bullet length is < .750” .

How long is the barrel ? If it’s 24” or longer, I recommend H4359, WW760 ( H414); and / or VV160.
Also.... be sure to give FED Large Magnum Rifle Match primers a try.

With regards,
357Mag

RODSTRADLEY

Rod -

Howdy !

How long is the barrel ? If it’s 24” or longer, I recommend H4359, WW760 ( H414); and / or VV160.

With regards,
357Mag
Howdy to you!
It is 24" but I didn't check the twist. My dad always used 55sp so I will load some up and give it a try I have RL15, Varget, IMR-4064 and IMR-4895 I will try one of them

crystalgayleguy

LRH Team Member
I purchased a Model 70 .220 Swift and shot it for about 6 mos. before having it improved. My new .220 Swift Ackley improved only picked up about 75-100 fps ! Well, at least I can fire both factory and Wildcat rounds . I've been using 4064 with success .
thanks for information

thwatson2

220 swift is one of my favorites. I’d shoot that thing and see how it groups. If you are grouping well, keep shooting and cleaning. That crackling is more likely a product of caliber, time and corrosion but may not hinder your groups. If it does shoot poorly, then rebarrel it. That is truly a rifle worth the effort. It’s an awesome rifle, awesome caliber and the sentiment has got to be great. Hopefully you will hand it down as well

RODSTRADLEY

Wow! nice rifle and .220 Swift AI! King of the "varminters", for sure. I imagine that rifle gave him lots of enjoyment and pride throughout the years. You will always be your Dad's boy and he would want you to have the same. Enjoy it and just remember him.
Thanks Rod

RODSTRADLEY

Rod -

Howdy !

With regards,
357Mag
I took it out and it shot a 1/2 [email protected] and I am still cleaning, it's looking better!

RODSTRADLEY

how much difference in velocity between 220 swift and 220 AI
Using 41gr of IMR 4064 for the 220 AI @ 3880fps vs Max load of 38gr IMR 4064 for the 220 swift @ 3731 difference of 149fps as per Load Data.com It does not give a starting load and or a max load for the AI. Rod

FEENIX

LRH Team Member
I was wondering why everyone was asking about how many lugs the American Enfield had.
They all have two. It' a real strong action, no worries.

Zeke
Not everyone is asking, just one poster asking twice (#19 and #22) at the time of this response. 😇

Trending threads

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce