22 for daughters

Your answer should recognize the age of the child involved. My oldest grandson is 7 and has never handled a rifle before. I think that a Stevens Favorite would be a perfect rifle to learn on. One shot at a time is sufficient, the Stevens is a great weight for him, the trigger is sufficiently light, and learning basic firearms safety as well as proper sighting would be well served.
If the one I looked at the other day hadn't been so overpriced and had a decent bore, I would have bought. I could have been handed down to his younger brother once it had served its purpose.

Honestly, when I think Heirloom quality I go to Anschutz as the gun. The rascal is a great training device and what he will use untill he is big enough for a regular LOP, but the gun I will give my nephew for long term ownership with be an Anschutz Sporter repeater. That is a gun that will easily be able to be handed down for many generations. Only other one I would consider is a Browning or CZ 452. The CZ 455 and 457 don't have the nice high gloss, deep blue finish on them any more.

Last edited:
My 6 year old daughter loves her rascal. Boogeyman, squirrels and boys beware!
7046661F-068E-42F4-8639-025662DE54E8.jpeg

The Savage rascal is a great beginners kids training gun five of my grandkids have them. But if I was going to go legitimate high-end passed on gun. I'd say a Cooper m57 but that's crazy amounts of money I would probably either look for a CZ 457 or if you can find some of the older pump action Winchester's or bolt action Winchester's but trying to find a pair for a set of twins that's the rough part going with older firearms or some of the old Belgian brownings

The Savage rascal is a great beginners kids training gun five of my grandkids have them. But if I was going to go legitimate high-end passed on gun. I'd say a Cooper m57 but that's crazy amounts of money I would probably either look for a CZ 457 or if you can find some of the older pump action Winchester's or bolt action Winchester's but trying to find a pair for a set of twins that's the rough part going with older firearms or some of the old Belgian Brownings
I partially agree, but even a model 90 Winchester is a bit heavy for a young child. I'll stick with my recommendation of a Stevens Favorite for a really young kid~!

Depends on how old she is. I love the 39-A but it's a little heavy for someone who is quite young~!
I agree...but most of your "kids" 22's have extremely heavy trigger pulls. Except the CZ 452 scout and Henry lever youth, which I bought both for my 2 daughters....they always asked to shoot the Golden on a bench instead. Now they are older...and arguing who is gonna get it when Dad gives up the ghost!!

That being said...the other two mentioned, I highly recommended.

Lever guns are always a great choice and collectable. I had a Marlin Growing up. Squirrels, rabbits, and the occasional black bird feared me. I wish I still had it. It got mixed in with a bunch of guns that were sold when my dad passed. If you keep the rifle when they are older, make sure it's written in big bold letters where those guns go when you go. Enjoy

My second rifle was a Marlin 39A with the gold trigger. My neighbor's kid had one and I liked it growing up, so I wanted the same one. It's also a take down with one large screw so it will pack into a back pack for hiking. The action is not quite as smooth a my Henry .22 Win Mag, but it's very reliable. It wears a 6 power scope, if I recall? And accurate out to 100 yds. I was shooting at flys on the target at 50 yards. Maybe the new Ruger made Marlins are better than the originals?
The lever actions have the hammer exposed so you can see if it's cocked instantly. Great for kids.

Last edited:
I partially agree, but even a model 90 Winchester is a bit heavy for a young child. I'll stick with my recommendation of a Stevens Favorite for a really young kid~!
Oh I agree that's why you have them shoot the rascal until they get old enough to handle the full size firearm that's what I did with my kids best thing I ever did so they bang it bump it drop it you're not destroying a extremely valuable firearm and they get to respect what a pretty beautiful exquisite firearm they have

Perhaps consider (alternatively or additionally) a high quality break-barrel spring air rifle with moderate velocity, like a Weihrauch HW30 or HW50. (Vendor like Pyramid Air, …)

Single shot, very accurate, excellent triggers, quiet, and .177 match grade ammunition can be substantially less expensive than plinking grade rimfire. (Eg, Vogel pellets).

On the rimfire front there are many fine choices, I only point out that if you go with a repeater, magazine-fed is generally easier and safer to unload than tube-fed.