22 Dasher short barrel fast twist

Varmiter71

I am wanting to do a 22 dasher with an 8 twist barrel and around 18 inch barrel to run suppressed.
Which brass is better for making 22 dasher out of 6 dasher brass (alpha Peterson or Norma)?
What kind of velocity would I expect to see with 75 and 80 bullets. I have a lot of 75 and 80 grain A-Max bullets.

When you talk "Dasher" and which brass - the solution becomes what reamer is being used to cut the chamber. I would ask the gunsmith who is cutting the chamber which brass works best with that reamer.

Just to clarify
I am not looking to turn necks.
And I have not gotten a reamer yet.
So who's brass is better and what reamer works best for it? Theses are some of the things that I need to know before I get to deep in and find out that I screwed up.
I have a set of Redding dies and that is about it so far.

Lapua is the best brass for any br variant. DJ's brass service will hydroform for you to near dasher shoulder, after that a neck down and mandrel to set necks for 22 cal.

Can I make a suggestion tho.......consider the 22gt. It holds 2.5gr more than a dasher. Has a longer neck, alpha already has brass, a lot of smith's have alpha reamers. Nothing wrong with the dasher however, there is just an easier way to get the same or more performance with a lot less work. The gt feeds better too. I've got a few 22gt barrels, and also a couple straight 22br tubes. My 22" gt will run the same velocities or slightly more than my 28" br's.

Could I clean up a 223 chamber with the 22 gt
If so I have a 26" 8 twist 223 AR barrel that I don't shoot anymore. It shoots amazing and it would save me some money providing the barrel nuts have the same threads

Do a 22 Creedmoor if effort involved in reloading is important. Added bonus of correct headstamp brass and improved feeding.

I shoot a 22 Dasher out of a 16.5" barrel with a can. 88 ELD velocities were around 2950 if I recall. I can verify if you want.

Last edited:
I have a 22 creedmoor in an AR-10
I just want a lighter weight so I can put this in an Ar-15
I don't know if I would have feeding issues with the single stack magazine of the UMAR

I have a 22 creedmoor in an AR-10
I just want a lighter weight so I can put this in an Ar-15
I don't know if I would have feeding issues with the single stack magazine of the UMAR
22gt will run from an ar15 with light bullets, not with heavier stuff. The BR Variants are what you'd want. However a 473 bolt on an ar15 is trouble waiting, hell even grendel bolts don't hold pressure well. I do have a 22grendel ar15 upper, 25.5gr varg with 77tmk goes 3150 from the 22" 7tw Wilson barrel. Personally now that the 22arc is out, that'd be my only choice for high velocity 22 on a ar15 platform. Yeah the ar10 opens everything up option wise, however they way a ton more.

Here's my 22-250 AR-15. I also have a 243 wssm and 25 wssm

Attachments

• IMG_2911.jpeg
    IMG_2911.jpeg
    450.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2912.jpeg
    IMG_2912.jpeg
    329.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_2913.jpeg
    IMG_2913.jpeg
    364.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_2914.jpeg