22 creedmoor or 22 250ai

Did you mean it's, a Criterion Barrel ( CBI ? )
IF so, you will need to go to another Gunsmithing Firm,.. NOT Criterion, as they would do NO Modifications, to their Barrels,.. AFTER,.. Sold.
MOST, "Competent" Gunsmiths with, a good Lathe can do,.. THE Work that, I listed.

Try posting On Here for, Gunsmith recommendations by fellow shooters, close to,.. YOUR,.. Location.
There are, a couple of Good One's, i think,.. in the Dakota's,.. I'm pretty sure

Did you mean it's, a Criterion Barrel ( CBI ? )
IF so, you will need to go to another Gunsmithing Firm,.. NOT Criterion, as they would do NO Modifications, to their Barrels,.. AFTER,.. Sold.
MOST, "Competent" Gunsmiths with, a good Lathe can do,.. THE Work that, I listed.
Yes it's a criterion barrel. I'd like to sure use the barrel with my prepped handloads it shot amazing. I shot my best group ever by me, I was testing 105 a max bullets and 3 different powder charges my poi didn't change so I said why not group I'll it. I had 200yds I could shoot at, it shot a 7 shot group of .346. That was with 3 different charges too. So I'd love to use the barrel. I believe it has potential. My previous gs was pretty much flabbergasted because it shot like that and it wasn't his barrel. He was kinda full of himself

Yes it's a criterion barrel. I'd like to sure use the barrel with my prepped handloads it shot amazing. I shot my best group ever by me, I was testing 105 a max bullets and 3 different powder charges my poi didn't change so I said why not group I'll it. I had 200yds I could shoot at, it shot a 7 shot group of .346. That was with 3 different charges too. So I'd love to use the barrel. I believe it has potential. My previous gs was pretty much flabbergasted because it shot like that and it wasn't his barrel. He was kinda full of himself
Good choice, staying with, the 6 XC !!
My 6 XC also has, a a Criterion Barrel. I doubt if, they would do ANY, "Re-Working" of the barrel unless, it was something that was, their fault.
I'd get a hold of a good Local, Gunsmith that, has had some Experience / success, in turning Down Barrels.
My barrel is, a medium Heavy "Sporter" contour, 24 inch, .707 Dia Muzzle and with, the scope / mounts, Brake, etc. the rifle weigh's exactly, 10 Pounds.
Decide what, type of, shooting, Balance, weight / Use desired for, the Rifle ( mines, a Walking Varmint Rifle that, I will use for, fun LR, Steel Plates ).
I get, sub 1/2 MOA groups with, several Bullets / Tuned Loads and, the Cold Bore, POI is, ALWAYS, "There" so no need of, any more weight than 10 Pounds, IMO.
Again,.. Good Luck !

Last edited:
If you turn down the outside you will probably have to adjust your load the barrel will have different harmonics.

I would not flute it button rifled barrels can have stress transferred to the rifling.
Yes, AGREE with, THIS ^^^
Fluting IF done, must be Machined very SLOWLY / carefully with, Plenty of Coolant, as "could affect" any Stresses, in the Barrel.
I'd just turn the barrel Down a bit / chop off and thread for brake,.. unless, You can Find, a Gunsmith with, a KNOWN "Track Record" of being,.. Successful at, Fluting !

I've shot 22-250 for over 30 yrs, finally built a 22-250ai last year because I've always wanted one, but all of them are put up now. Bought first 22CM about 3 yrs ago and that's all I shoot now. Brass availability and no fire forming.