22 creedmoor or 22 250ai

..standard old fashion 22/250 is more than enough for all varmint hunting...why drive yourself nuts and expense for overall very little gain, especially for hunting purposes.
Kinda my thinking too. Plus 22-250 ammo is easy to get right now. It doesn't sound like he shot the 6XC much so the brass can be sized down to 22-250 easy enough since the 22-250 is the parent case. The 22-250 uses less powder so it's more economical. And for the range he's hunting it's more than enough cartridge. Heck my longest kill with the 22-250 to date was at 583 yards. A chuck using 55 gr Berger Flat Base Target Match bullets out of a shot out barrel.

I went with a 22XC over the 22-250AI. One thing I like was the longer neck. Forming to AI always shortens necks. Glad I went this route. The worst group this rifle has ever shot was .7" while testing several powders and using Berger 60 gr Varmint bullets. Brass is easily made by necking down Peterson 6XC brass

I shoot a lot of coyotes with a 22-250 and a 22 Creed.

If 400 yards and in, not worried about saving hides, I would be shooting the 53 V max. At fast 22 cal velocities I think a 1-9 twist is as fast as I would go.

You won't miss because you are shooting one cartridge or the other.

I personally would go 22 Creed. No fire forming, and it feeds from a mag way better than a normal 22-250. I would assume the 22-250ai is more like the 22 Creed when it comes to feeding.

I have shot 85.5 and 80.5 Bergers from my Creed. Both kill coyotes really well.

7A6F0C69-73F7-42E1-9FE6-CA3F9402B738.jpeg

Honestly around here if I get a shot on a coyote around here it will be 400 and under. I've never had a 22cal rifle so I want it to be a good experience. I use to shoot dogs with a 300wm , obviously we weren't keeping the hides. It was cheap to reload before so could shoot a lot cheap. Now not so much and 22 cal components are the best bang for the buck.

What is a good varmint bullet in that 70-80 gr range?
I'll be using the 75 gr ELDM out to 600 yards. But that'll be from my AR15 in 5.56 :). I almost had the money set side for a new scope for the season. But then we've had a recent uptick in violent crimes. So the money is going towards a pocket carry tool.

I built this rifle when I was dabbling in f class shooting, was many years ago now. I ran 105 a max bullets thru it and it shoots great. Im still a rookie with it tho, i have only 300 rounds or so thru it. Then i ended up moving and my f class shooting was done. I was thinking id try something different. I was just thinking that a 69gr tipped matchking would be awesome out of a fast 22.
I have nothing against the 6xc ,I just have looked at it everytime I went into the safe. I kind got bored with it. I'm probably going to tear it down and sell the whole thing but the action and try again. Maybe I should reconsider changing calibers because I have everything for the xc. Not totally sure what route I go with.
Might think about, having a Gunsmith turn your Heavy Barrel down, a Bit, to a nicely Contoured, .700 to .720 Dia Muzzle ( 24 inch ) and Spiral Fluting it, as a 9 to 10 Pound Rifle, can still "shoot",. awesome !
What is your, 6 XC's Twist rate ? My 1-7.5 Tw., can shoot everything from, 80 gr to 108's,. real well.
And it would probably even shoot, the 70-75's at, the "Right" Speed.
With Only, 300 Rds on your Barrel,.. WHY waste it !
The Bigger, Longer, HIGH BC Bullets, just "Fly" better at, the Longer Ranges of, the Windy,.. Desert / high Plains, country,.. FACT !

Last edited:
The 22 Creed and 22-250ai are so close, that performance difference is negligible. The big thing is the availability of small primer brass for the Creed, and no fire forming.
Even if your gunsmiths reamer is a bit long in freebore, the light varmit bullets tend to like big jumps anyways.
Or you can send it to me, and I'll spin up your barrel

Sorry, I never found that the light bullets like big jumps they like to be .003-.020 off the lands for sub 1/4" groups in 222, 22 PPC, 223 AI, 223 Match, 22/250 & AI. By the time I was jumping them .060, accuracy could never be attained again.

New barrels with fresh cut ramps on the leade angle help, but in 600 rounds, all the fresh is gone. A flat base bullet can help with the jumping when the barrel is new. P. dog shooters firing 600-1000 rounds a day on a single barrel figure stuff out pretty quickly(minute of p. dog head at 300).

Hello all. I wanted to get a varmint rifle built. My local gs is trying to sell me on a 22 creedmoor which is fine. I wanted to do a 22 250ai. Is there any advantage to either besides the 22 creedmoor components being available. I wanted to run light bullets in it, I'm being advised to go with bullets in the 70gr range there ballistically better.
I'd appreciate all your information
I have a 22-250 AI I am going to sell. PM me if you are wanting info on it. It is a seriously accurate gun. I can sell with dies and brass as well. Gun is a semi custom with 1:7 Lilja barrel. It will handle the heavies but loves the 50 grainers. I am at 4009 FPS and shooting one hole. I just don't shoot predators at long range anymore so I just carry my .223 bolt.

Might think about, having a Gunsmith turn your Heavy Barrel down, a Bit, to a nicely Contoured, .700 to .720 Dia Muzzle ( 24 inch ) and Spiral Fluting it, as a 9 to 10 Pound Rifle, can still "shoot",. awesome !
What is your, 6 XC's Twist rate ? My 1-7.5 Tw., can shoot everything from, 80 gr to 108's,. real well.
And it would probably even shoot, the 70-75's at, the "Right" Speed.
With Only, 300 Rds on your Barrel,.. WHY waste it !
The Bigger, Longer, HIGH BC Bullets, just "Fly" better at, the Longer Ranges of, the Windy,.. Desert / high Plains, country,.. FACT !
I didn't think a barrel could be returned?
It's a 8 twist barrel

If I can have that done I will stay with the 6xc. I like it , I'm quite sure the smith will have no part of that. So I contacted cbi to see if they will do it, they made it in the first place

I didn't think a barrel could be returned?
It's a 8 twist barrel
NO,. not returned,.. Have, the Barrel's outside diameter, "Turned Down" on, a Lathe to a Lighter Weight,. like a number 4 or # 5 Contour and, a .675 to .710 Dia Muzzle to make you, a 8.5 to 9.5 pound, "Walking around" Yote / Antelope, rifle and as long as, the Barrel is Kept "Cool" on the Lathe ( with Coolant ) , it should still, shoot Fine !
Might look to have barrel length Shortened to, 24 to 26 inches or so, if wanting, shorter ??
Both CBI or LRI can do this,.. "Work", me thinks and NOW'S, the Time to Do it !
I love my 6 XC and would always like to, have One around ( mine weighs exactly, 10 pounds Braked, 9.5 without @ 24inches, .707 Dia Muz ).
Check with gunsmith about, shortening and Threading muzzle for, a Brake, as Brakes make shooting, the "Heavier" 95 to 110 grain Bullets, Sweet !
At 300 shots thru your Barrel it, is barely "Broke in" and you should get, about 1,500 to 2,000 more shots out of, it,.. if you avoid the Hotter burning Powders and keep, Barrel,.. "Cool" when shooting. Good Luck,.. You,.. "Got This" !

Last edited:

Recent Posts