22 cal hunting bullets

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Kevin, Apr 28, 2002.

1. Kevin

Kevin Well-Known Member

Any recomondations for hunting bullets in 22cal 52-60gr. I have tried a few but it seems that at close range they just blow up like a varmit bullets.

2. Ian M

Ian M Well-Known Member

The new Barnes loading manual has a hunting story in it about using their .22 cal bullets and one shot was at very close range with good performance. Being solid copper the Barnes would not disintegrate I expect.

Nosler makes their Partition in .22 caliber and another similar bullet is the Trophy Bonded that Federal loads in their .223 Tactical ammo. Speer used to make a 70 grain bullet that was intended for big game also.

If your muzzle velocities are very high I would expect the Barnes might be the most likely to perform on deer at close range.

In another life I killed a large number of deer with the .223 using FMJ with excellent results - including shots into the chest from varying angles. This was legal at the time, but would not be legal in most jurisdictions today.

3. Kevin

Kevin Well-Known Member

Thanks Ian, I am running extremely high velocities, 4200 fps with 55gr bullets. I just can't seem to shoot a decent group with barns bullets. I puchased some FMJ's and hope to test them soon. Most people don't like the idea of using FMJ's for hunting but I don't see what the problem is. My dad always used to tell me stories about how all he had as a kid was a 22mag. And that all he shot was FMJ's and killed many deer and even one elk with it.

4. Ian M

Ian M Well-Known Member

MTBA
    Don't know if you have tried them but the Barnes XLC coated bullets are shooting well at .223 -.22-250 velocities for me. They would be the bullet to try for deer but depends on how they shoot in your rifle.

5. Kevin

Kevin Well-Known Member

I havn't tried the coated bullets yet, so I will give them a try, maybe my gun will like them better. I know that they claim a large increase in velocity 100+ fps. What is your experience? Can you load them hotter because of the lower presure? I don't have the new barns book and have yet to see one in any of the stores around here.

6. Ian M

Ian M Well-Known Member

I am getting slightly higher velocities but not 100 fps for sure. Barnes book has been having some hic-ups so if you want one I would suggest getting the latest edition right from them. There were some typos that caused some headaches, they are doing their damndest to get everything straightened out.
    It is a nice manual, worth having.

I would never say that a particular bullet will work in someone else's rifle because it workds in mine, only one way to find out. Barnes is continually refining and improving their production. A person might be wrong to expect certain performance because of a past test.

I have never killed deer with a .22 caliber Barnes but it would be my choice today.

7. Warren Barrett

Warren Barrett Well-Known Member

MTBA,

A friend of mine has gotten excellent results with the Nosler 22cal. partition with his 223. I can`t say what grain,though. The bullets exited with apprx. 3/4in. holes shot behind the shoulder at distances from around 100-200 yds.
    good day, WB.

8. Guest

Guest Guest

WOW! 4200 fps with a 55gr bullet? What cal. is this in?

9. Kevin

Kevin Well-Known Member

Thanks Warren I think that the nosler is a 60 grain. That bullet would be a good option but I have tried 60 grains and I just can't get the same energy, trajectory, or acuracy that the 55's will.

10. Kevin

Kevin Well-Known Member

Coyote Hunter
    This is 220 swift improved with a 26 in. barrel. My current load is 47gr. H380 with 55gr. bullets. Because 380 is a ball powder the the velocities change a lot due to temperature changes. The lowest velocities were around 4100fps and the highest was 4280fps. Shoots really flat out to 500 yards, never more than 6 inches off line of sight. 500 yard groups average less than 3in. The dear I shot last year with it was at 547 yards but the bullet still left a large hole all the way through.

11. Guest

Guest Guest

MTBA,
    I was thinking maybe along these lines but just thought I would ask. What is the make of your rile and barrel? I am waiting on my rifle to get here, it is being put together by Charley Robertson in Arizona, a 700 action with a Shilen Select Match 24" in a 22-250. I really thought about going to the Ackley Improved, but little more power than what I wanted.
    Sounds like you've got a good shooter there.