22 and 6 creedmoor

rpatchan

So is barrel burn rate the same with the 22CM and the 6CM or will they burn out at different rates. Wanting to shoot coyotes mainly. I have a 6.5CM now, how does it compare in barrel burn rate and why if they are different?

Exactly right what powder are you burning? Are you shooting monos it blistering speeds, fast, repetition of shots, etc. I just bore scoped my 22 Creedmoor after about 275 rounds no significant damage but I'm shooting 88 grain ELD's and 80.5 grain burgers not at blistering speeds/pressures either.

You already have a 6.5 I'd drop down to the 22creed. Perfect for coyotes minimal recoil. Like stated above there are a lot of variables but all things equal the 6 will last longer but they are so close I wouldn't let it affect your decision. If shooting mainly coyotes your barrel will last a long time. Ppl are overly concerned with burning bbls out.

Barrels are disposable, just a fact of shooting. If you don't want to go through barrels buy a 308. I have a 6mm and a 22 creed. I only shoot the 22 at critters, Not a target rifle. My 6mm is about half way through its life at 500 rounds. Can't wait to replace the barrel, always so exciting.

You already have a 6.5 I'd drop down to the 22creed. Perfect for coyotes minimal recoil. Like stated above there are a lot of variables but all things equal the 6 will last longer but they are so close I wouldn't let it affect your decision. If shooting mainly coyotes your barrel will last a long time. Ppl are overly concerned with burning bbls out.
I have heard from multiple users that the 22 creed and the 77 grain Sierra tipped matchking are a match made in long range coyote hunting heaven.

If you are shooting normally, and not competition I'd think you could easily double or triple those numbers. Creed case capacity is fairly small when compared to even the 308 size. The 22 Creed is like a 22-250 Ackley or Swift and the 6 Creed is way short of even the standard 243 Winchester so expect several thousand rounds.

I've heard of many 6cm barrels going over 2k rounds with 105-115gr bullets going 2950, want 3100+ expect 1200 or so. Kinda like a 22cm pushing heavy stuff over 3300fps, slow that down to 3100 with a cool powferand I bet it last significantly longer.

The talk of speed is of no concern if not attached to barrel lengths! 3300 from a 28 ir 3300 from a 20. If 24" is used as reference then they're possibly correct? Like the magic dust some give speed numbers with an 18 or 20" with most seeing it with 24-26". I have v160 & v165, but untested yet. Supposedly the 100 series are saviors on barrel burners? While at max pressure it will yield 100-150fps less than other powders? Will high pressure with faster powders cause the same barrel burner issues? I haven't tested any either?

Leave some meat in the chamber end of the barrel, then set the barrel back when you start to lose accuracy. I used to shoot 22-250 prairie dogging and would set the barrel back at 1500 rounds. I'd get a new barrel after setting it back twice just because I wanted to stay around 26".
But for coyote, I'd think 1500 would be on the conservative end since you don't get the barrel "prairie dog" hot.

Last edited:
I have and shoot all the Creedmoor cartridges for various reasons. For coyotes out here, the .22 Creedmoor is an excellent choice. But I switched over to the .22 GT and I'm not disappointed at all. I wanted a slightly lighter rifle without sacrificing barrel length (velocity) and scope magnification. Shots are goodly distances out here. My normal load is the last of the Bergers I shoot, 85.5 gr. Long Range Hybrid. I don't save pelts so shooting for the high back is just fine with me.

If barrel life is a concern, don't shoot. Barrels are a consumable product. Look for a balance between cooler powders and slightly lower velocities and pressure.

Enjoy the process!

:)

Last edited:
I would assume somewhere around 1000 in the 6mm creed and probably 800 in the 22 creed. I think most people who shoot competitively get 1000 with the 6. That's why some people transitioned to the 6gt, better barrel life.
I'm a hunter so match accuracy is not primary--but I hope I get like 1500 to 2000 rounds out of my 22 creed--I had a friend of mine get 1850 out of a 22-250 without much issue...800 seems pretty low...but to each their own. I guess I'll see I'm just under 300 with mine and it's been 4 years since I built it--guess I'll report in in 8 or so years.

Recent Posts