22-250 for deer?

Picked up a 22-250 from a gent on the forums and really enjoy shooting it! So I am thinking about picking up some Barns 50gr ammo and using it for white tails! I believe that a 50gr pill rolling over 3800fps will kill and get the dbl lung in a perfect side shot, my questions is how far would y'all use this rifle for deer, was kinda hoping I would be able to use it to about 200ish yds and allow my nieces and nephews a gun to take and let them pop one. It has a stock barrel with a slow factory twist or I would reload heavier pills
what state are you hunting in it might work in south Texas and across the southeast states because of how little the deer are ( BUT ANYWHERE ELSE IT'S HIGHLY UNETHICAL AND THERE SHOULD BE AND ARE CALIBER RESTRICTIONS IN SOME STATES 24 CAL OR BIGGER I SUGGEST YOU SHOOT BIGGER CALIBER AND DON'T CRIPPLE THEM UP AND LOSE THEM) BE A GOOD HUNTER NOT ONE THE ANIMAL RIGHTS GROUPS RAISE HELL ABOUT

I'm amazed that
I have killed deer with Rem 22/250's with 14 twists

55g Hornady Soft point with the cannalure
63g Sierra semi point is very accurate in a 14 twist

New bullet out that is fantastic, the Speer 55g Bonded Core bullet, and it is very, very accurate!

55g use Varget

63g use IMR, H, or AA4350

A 64g Winchester may stabalize out of the 14T, I have read it but not played around with it myself.

65g Sierra BTSP will not stabalize in a 14T, nor will a 60g V max.

I have shot half a dozen deer with the rem 700 with the 60g partition, and groups are 2" to 1.5". If you hit a deer on the shoulder with this bullet, you will throw away the front half of the deer, MV of 3450 fps.
I have never seen that slow of twist rate in any. 22 cal. rifle. I'm amazed that any bullet would stabilize at all. I went to a 1-7 in order to get stabilized bullets above 62gr. to shoot under 1/2" groups where with my 1-10 they wouldn't hit a 6" target at 100 yards.

I had someone shoot 2 bucks in two hunts on my place with a .223 and we never found either one . It's was family but I told him to bring a bigger gun or stay home
You owe it to the deer to put it down quickly, use enough gun

My daughter used my 22-250 when she was a juvenile and killed her longest one with a neck shot at 325. I loaded 60 gr. Nosler Partitions for her.

Picked up a 22-250 from a gent on the forums and really enjoy shooting it! So I am thinking about picking up some Barns 50gr ammo and using it for white tails! I believe that a 50gr pill rolling over 3800fps will kill and get the dbl lung in a perfect side shot, my questions is how far would y'all use this rifle for deer, was kinda hoping I would be able to use it to about 200ish yds and allow my nieces and nephews a gun to take and let them pop one. It has a stock barrel with a slow factory twist or I would reload heavier pills
If you shoot him in the head it's like a buzzsaw cuts right through to go down what about 250 yards farthest shot I don't know nothing about no lung shoot do the same to the Hogs they drop like a rock

I've shot deer with my 223 and 50 gr tsx. They at 3000fps. They tend to pass through without much energy transfer. If using this bullet I would make sure to shoot them in the shoulder bone to transfer energy. I switch to 62 great federal fusion that I handload. These hit deer a little harder. I would have no problem shooting deer to 250 yards with your setup. Just have to be picky on shot placement

I have shot 3 deer and 2 black bears with the 220 Swift and the 60 grain Nosler Partition. This is obviously not a big sampling of performance, but all 5 animals were basically dead within 25 yards. I believe in skilled hands, and using a bullet that can be trusted, 22 CF rifles will kill deer just fine as long as the hunter is willing to pass up "iffy" shots. Since I have many choices, I do not purposely hunt deer with 22 CF rifles, but certainly will not condemn those who do. Dave.

I have killed several deer with my 22-250. I hand load and use 50gr VMAX bullets and I have never had any take a step once I pulled the trigger on my 22-250. Bullet placement and type are the key though.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.