22-250,204,220 swift

I would consider 1-8 to be fast twist on a 22-250 or a 220 swift. For the 75 Amax this would be needed. For 55gr or less (cup and core) something much slower will do. At 350 yards max I would recommend going slow-twist (assuming this is a varmint set-up).

Common slow twists for 22-250 are 1-12 or 1-14. My 1-14 stabilizes all 55grainers I have thrown at it (no copper solids or v-grenades tried).

Yep sorry my mistake should have said fast twist, still waking up :rolleyes:

I found the 53 Vmax shot better in 1-8 than 1-12, its minimum twist is advertised as 1-12, long projectile for 53 grains advertised BC of .290 well above the 50s & 55s.

The 53 wouldn't shoot in my 22-243 imp with a 1-14 even at 4100 fps.

No question......SWIFT all the way!! The others are ok, but the 220 Swift has maintained its' dominance since 1935?!!! It is and always will be a classic!!

I say 220 Swift as well, it has alway been a favorite. I had always run 55's and loved it but recently I put a 1 in 8 twist barrel (Rock) and run 80 gr at 3450 fps. Pure lazer beam of death, I am completely hooked!! Now I have 2 favorite versions of the 220 Swift!

I say 220 Swift as well, it has alway been a favorite. I had always run 55's and loved it but recently I put a 1 in 8 twist barrel (Rock) and run 80 gr at 3450 fps. Pure lazer beam of death, I am completely hooked!! Now I have 2 favorite versions of the 220 Swift!
I've burned out 5 swift barrels since I started shooting it back in about 78.

I'll probably live long enough to burn out a couple of more.

Even with the swift though if you just don't shoot it hot you can get very good barrel life with a good, high quality stainless barrel.

I'll keep a .204 as well just because it's cheap to shoot and tons of fun but if I were only going to own one caliber for varmints it would absolutely be the Swift since as several of us have pointed out it can do double duty.

I've killed several truck loads of deer and a half dozen antelope with it as well as truck loads of coyotes, bobcats, and prairie dogs.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.