215 Hybrid on a hog

reeldawg

I went to a friends property to help thin the hogs down. I have taken my 300 Win a couple of times and not fired a shot. I connected yesterday with this one at about 70 yards. It is a heck of an exit wound. The hog is near 100 pounds.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 88
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 95
Thank you so much for posting this. This is good info I did not have for 70 yards with the 215 on a tough thick skinned animal like a hog. The exit and wound channel is consistent with the 26" diagonal wound channel we had with the 215 in a 300 win in a bull elk.

Good stuff and if you like this would be very good info to add to my thread on the 215's.

Link below.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/comparing-berger-210-vld-215-hybrid-88657/

Thanks so much for the report.

Jeff

Thanks for the info. My first .300 Winchester Magnum in 30 years arrives this week. Looking forward to experimenting with all the changes that have occurred since then.

Wow! Is this kind of penetration typical for the Berger Hunting Bullets? I thought they were supposed to disintegrate inside the animal, more like a Matchking or the old style Ballistic Tips. I don't have a .300 WM. but I would be tempted to load a lighter one for my 30-06. Kind of off thread I know, but this is intriguing.

I am shooting them out of my 300WSM currently have also shot them in the 300RUM those are my two "30's" of choice.
I love the bullet and have been overall very please with it on all levels. the fact that it did that kind of damage that close up is really awesome.

Wow! Is this kind of penetration typical for the Berger Hunting Bullets? I thought they were supposed to disintegrate inside the animal, more like a Matchking or the old style Ballistic Tips. I don't have a .300 WM. but I would be tempted to load a lighter one for my 30-06. Kind of off thread I know, but this is intriguing.

Why load a lighter one? That is what gets people in trouble with a good expanding bullet. If the 30-06 is a 10 twist load the 215's and prepare to be amazed. They would even work better from the 06 at these closer distances.

Jeff

No problem Jeff, it posted. I will try to get better pictures next time.

Jay

You did fine Jay. You supported your performance with data and pictures. Something often lacking in the "Fail" threads.

You confirmed some of my theories about this bullet up close. Thanks for the info you provided.

Jeff

My friend I was hunting with has seen a bunch of hogs shot with all kinds of rifles and bullets. He said he has never seen anything like that.

Thanks for posting the photos and making the post reeldawg, I am feeling better about trying the 215's after seeing this close range damage.:D

My friend I was hunting with has seen a bunch of hogs shot with all kinds of rifles and bullets. He said he has never seen anything like that.

I have killed 100+ Florida hogs of various sizes... I can confirm that, that is a heck of an exit wound!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.