215 Hybrid - 300WM

Ok, here goes.
If you change mag boxes to 375 length, you MUST also change the ejector blade, the throw will be different otherwise. Cases will most probably hang up and drop on the follower.
The 375 length box measures 3.620" ID in most cases.

I make this mod often, even on Kimber 8400's to get longer COL.

If cases hang up while feeding, you may also need a 375 length follower.

Luckily for me, my A191 reamers I use get me a COL of around 3.550" with most 200+gr bullets.

Cheers.

Thanks, ordered the 375 ejector too. Hopefully this gets me close to where I need to be. Moving the bullet out .150 is a substantial move.

Just a followup on this one, I changed out the mag box, ejector and bolt stop and put in the appropriate 375 parts. I've run some dummy rounds through it and it works seated a bit longer, about 3.60 or so OAL, but I'm finding that seating the 215 that deep it is pushing the driving band past the neck and the bullets are loose in the case.

I am looking for a 375 follower to make things work more smoothly, the 300 follower looks like it could bind up.

Still looking for a 375 follower for this rifle. My search-fu is not strong enough. I can't find them anywhere, and the places that used to stock them show them as "discontinued". Any ideas would be appreciated.

I assume this is a push feed model 70. You can simply cut the block out of the back of the magazine trim off the sides of block and J-B weld block tab to back of mag. I did this on a 300 xtr to shoot 208 eld matches. You will have to grind back bolt stop/ejector so bolt can pick up case head. you go from a COL of 3.385 to 3.524. You can order a model 70 "SAFARI" magazine and bolt stop/ejector from Numrich but you will end up with same out come as above do it yourself alteration. Does not the Wyatt boxes require machining the receiver? You may or may not need to tweeek the magazine lips for smooth feeding. I think I ended opening up the lips just a little and it worked great.

I assume this is a push feed model 70. You can simply cut the block out of the back of the magazine trim off the sides of block and J-B weld block tab to back of mag. I did this on a 300 xtr to shoot 208 eld matches. You will have to grind back bolt stop/ejector so bolt can pick up case head. you go from a COL of 3.385 to 3.524. You can order a model 70 "SAFARI" magazine and bolt stop/ejector from Numrich but you will end up with same out come as above do it yourself alteration. Does not the Wyatt boxes require machining the receiver? You may or may not need to tweeek the magazine lips for smooth feeding. I think I ended opening up the lips just a little and it worked great.
This is a new-ish CRF rifle. I've already changed the box, ejector, and bolt stop and put in 375 parts, but I suspect that the 300 length follower is eventually going to bind up. It's not where it wants to be in the new box.

The Wyatt version requires machining, but I may end up going that route before it's over. Frankly, I don't know why I wouldn't. I don't have but one bolt gun in it's original configuration, why should this one be different.

This is a new-ish CRF rifle. I've already changed the box, ejector, and bolt stop and put in 375 parts, but I suspect that the 300 length follower is eventually going to bind up. It's not where it wants to be in the new box.

The Wyatt version requires machining, but I may end up going that route before it's over. Frankly, I don't know why I wouldn't. I don't have but one bolt gun in it's original configuration, why should this one be different.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.