215 Hybrid help

I have been shooting the 210VLD in my rig for years but I really want to try the 215 hybrid. I am worried that I won't have the barrel to support it

Remington 700
Krieger stainless barrel 26" 11.25 twist

Right now I'm shooting the 210VLD @3050fps running US-869 101 grain

Do you guys think it'll work with the 215? The calculator on Berger says it'll be marginal but calculators aren't the be all end all.

Thanks !

Twist rate is important for proper terminal performance, consistent ballistic performance at extended ranges and at times accuracy. If you do most of your shooting inside 600 yards, and can get them to shoot accurate at 100-200 yards, you may not have any issues with them, then again since you are marginally stable, all it could take is a cold day or some other atmospheric change to cause your bullet to have worse stability and fail.

Not saying it can't be done or can't work, however personally, if you have a good load with the 210's I would stick with them until you need a new barrel, then go with a 1 in 9 for the 200+ bullets. The 9 twist would open you up to the possibility of some good mono's, and handle the 215's great as well.

Also, I would ensure your tips are clear with a wire drill bit if you plan on hunting with them. Unstable or marginally stable bullets may deform, banana and tumble instead of properly expanding on game. Not saying it will happen, but it could, so make sure your tips are properly opened prior to using them on game to give yourself every advantage.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.