212 ELD-X 300 Win Mag Powder Crunch

300 win mag load.png

Yes, easy solution . Your new brass hasn't been fired. Once you fire any new brass it will fire form to your chamber. Thus expanding in size. All rifles except some custom rifles allow for SAAMI spec. So all ammo off the shelf and new brass will fit SAAMI spec ... thus allowing anyone buying off the shelf 300WM ammo to work in all 300WM rifles...
That's why you get better accuracy reloading, you custom reload to YOUR rifle.

So what's happening is your brass is expanding, increase case capacity. So when you reload you are changing the pressure and velocity, thus changing barrel harmonics and your Node. You should use Quickload to adjust for this. If I use new Brass i have to decrease my loads by .4 grains to match my loads i have worked up...
That's why you must be consistent in reloading.

Did that make sense and help? PM and i can call you to explain.

Waveslayer and other members that do much more precision reloading than I do ,

If all new cartridges , and new brass are manufactured to SAAMI specifications , then why would once fired new brass that is full-length , full body-sized have more internal capacity than new brass ? If I understand correctly , the full-length sizing die , or full-body sizing die ( Redding ), is supposed to return the brass to factory ( SAAMI ) size specifications .
I know that fired brass that is neck-sized only will have more capacity than new brass due to expansion to the chamber that it is fired in . But , I have always wondered why brass that has been fired once or multiple times , and is then full-length or full-body sized back to factory SAAMI specifications should have a larger capacity than virgin brass ?
Does the new brass , on the first firing undergo a change in metallurgy , due to the extreme heat , that causes the molecular structure of the brass to re-arrange , thereby creating a thinner case wall and larger internal capacity ?

As the old TV commercial used to say , " Inquiring minds want to know ."

Thank you all ,
DMP25-06

Ok sorry for the delay, I was at a wedding.

So according to QL you are way over pressured with your current load with new brass. Max pressure with what you provided says you are at 67,171... that's high. Any pressure signs at all?

So for your information, I'm not recommending anything, but with that large case volume increase you need to add for all once fired brass a total of 75 grains of H1000 to match your new brass...

Now according to OBT you are not in your node, which means you need to do a new load work up.

You can try with your current once fired brass and let me know the results using 71.5 grains . You should see velocity around 2794.

What are you using for a chrono?

Here is where your nodes should be at, see attached

Attachments

• 20190930_115010.jpg
    20190930_115010.jpg
    6.5 MB · Views: 137
Thanks for running my info on quick load. I came back from the cabin yesterday, I shot new brass with 73.g H1000 , COAL 3.472 ,220 gr ELDX with a velocity of 2928 average at.75 moa. not great but velocity was fairly consistent es of 20. No signs of pressure
Then I shot 73.8gr h1000 ,220 gr ELDX averaging 2720 fps with a .50 moa es 43 , I played with seating depth and the best group was COAL at 3.440 . Better accuracy but still room for improvement. No signs of pressure
I had been shooting 71.4 gr h1000 ,220 gr ELDX , COAL at 3.460 new brass .75 moa,2820 fps