212 ELD-X 300 Win Mag Powder Crunch

Double Dropper

Been using ADG brass with a new bullet, Hornadys 212 ELD-X and it has been shooting well, one small issue, was told by ADG to be prepared for a smaller internal volume due to a more robust webbing, expected that. Anyway loading up H1000, IMR 8133, and RL-25 and definitely notice a smaller internal case capacity, sits up higher in the neck. Loaded up to 76 grains of H1000 74.5 of RL 25 but 77 grains of 8133 makes a " good crunch" upon seating the 212 ELD-X (3.515 ) is the longest I can seat based upon the mag box. Is the "crunch" an area of concern?

Its not the crunch that can get you in trouble, compressed loads are common, slightly compressed loads are sometimes desired. By changing brands of brass and decreasing the powder capacity you are possibly increasing your pressure. If I were you I would do a 10 shot load workup to find the powder charge that puts you in the velocity node that you were at before the brass change. 76 grains of H1000 doesnt seem excessive but, I have never used ADG and a 212 ELD-x, my load is 77.9 with a 208 ELDM at 3.513" in hornady brass.

Use a drop tube. I get a little crunch sometimes but after that it can still shake around a little. 21st century drop tubes work great.

Compresses loads are not in any way dangerous, BUT you.must be aware that heavily compressed loads MAY push the bullet back out, causing a dangerous pressure excursion if not noticed.
I use a couple of heavily compresses loads with RETUMBO & H50BMG. If I load them and leave them, the next day the bullets will have moved about .1" out of the case mouth..........enough to put them too close to the rifling.
With these, I have to load long then seat them on the day of the comp prior to commencing the match.

I do not recommend this type of loading for hunting rifles, unless they are a single shot type setup where mag length makes no difference. A bullet stuck in the rifling is no joy out in the field.
Trust me.

Cheers.

Compressed loads are okay as long as you aren't about 10%, depends on your rifle though..

If you aren't getting pressure signs, I wouldn't worry. Have you measured your case capacity compared to your old brass? It would be interesting to see the difference. If you have QL you can copy your old load by throwing that into it.

You will be fine .

I have heard the crunch using H1000 and 220 ELD-X . Currently using 73.8 gr and loading COAL at 3.472 and 2930 fps ,which is close to max mag length ,I would like to increase velocity but very cautious to do so.

24" 1 in 10 twist, Ill load some rounds this weekend and see what I come up with. I am getting much more consistent velocity readings ,if I use new brass, neck sized with a Lee collett die vs once fired .Any thoughts on this? Just realized I hijacked this thread , sorry...............

24" 1 in 10 twist, Ill load some rounds this weekend and see what I come up with. I am getting much more consistent velocity readings ,if I use new brass, neck sized with a Lee collett die vs once fired .Any thoughts on this? Just realized I hijacked this thread , sorry...............

Yes, easy solution . Your new brass hasn't been fired. Once you fire any new brass it will fire form to your chamber. Thus expanding in size. All rifles except some custom rifles allow for SAAMI spec. So all ammo off the shelf and new brass will fit SAAMI spec ... thus allowing anyone buying off the shelf 300WM ammo to work in all 300WM rifles...
That's why you get better accuracy reloading, you custom reload to YOUR rifle.

So what's happening is your brass is expanding, increase case capacity. So when you reload you are changing the pressure and velocity, thus changing barrel harmonics and your Node. You should use Quickload to adjust for this. If I use new Brass i have to decrease my loads by .4 grains to match my loads i have worked up...
That's why you must be consistent in reloading.

Did that make sense and help? PM and i can call you to explain.