2021 Planning

Creekrat

So a cousin and I have decided we'd like to do an elk hunt for 2021 and as much as we'd love to hire an outfitter we want to DIY it. I'm in the process of gathering components for a LR 300 wm rifle for this hunt, and hopefully many others down the road. With that being said we know we have a lot to take care of between now and then and are looking to any source available for research.

For gear we know we don't know more than we know...lol. Doing this DIY and planning to do a lot of hiking and possibly spending a few nights out away from wherever we park the truck we want to be sensible and efficient. For purposes like these we are looking at things that have multiple functions like Sig's binos that are also range finding and using those alone instead of binos, spotting scope, and rangefinder. With the 2 of us we could always double up and one of us carry the Sig's and the other carry either a more powerful set of binos or a spotting scope. We also know that hydration will be key so we will plan on having electrolytes as well as hydration bladders. I think the boots and the packs are going to be the biggest choices we make with the gear besides the rifles themselves. Of course we'll want something light that is also expandable and comfortable to wear for the packs and boots need to fit like a glove and provide adequate ankle support so we're not stuck in the middle of nowhere with a rolled/broken ankle on day 1.

Now on to the biggest subject. Where do we do this? Well any of you that have done successful DIY elk hunts from out of state and are willing to share some notes then that would be greatly appreciated. I'm not asking for your spot but more on how you came to choose said spot. Being that we are wanting to do this for 2021 we have some time but want to make sure we do our homework. We know that it is more likely than not that we will come home without any meat and we are ok with that but of course we'd both like to give ourselves the best opportunity to each bag an animal. We are not searching for trophies but more of the experience. Bull or cow, trophy or not, we will take pictures with it and eat it all the same and have a great story to tell later.

The flattop mesas of SW Colorado would be a good area to try for your first elk hunt. I took 2 bulls in my last OTC tags there.

OTC tags are usually for 2nd and 3rd rifle seasons for 4 pt or better bulls.

Hunter pressure is fairly high but seems to keep elk moving. The colder and snowier the weather is, the more the elk move in. Quite a few bears in that country, so a bear tag is a good idea, if you're so inclined.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.