2021 Oregon Rifle Elk

etsonaut

Took my two grown offspring to Oregon for a guided public land Elk hunt in the Desolation Unit the last week of October. The outfitter was an energetic young man named Walker Powell. His outfit is called No Tell 'Em Creek Outfitters. The hunt was excellent and he had us in the elk on a daily basis. Yes, there were a lot of hunters. Yes, that unit has some extremely challenging ground but Walker knows the country inside and out. I never saw a shooter bull and my youngest son had a bull shot out from under him. So it goes with public land hunting.

My eldest got it done on the second evening inside the wilderness area boundary. Around 10:30 AM they spotted the bull in his bed from around two thousand yards away across the canyon and below them around a thousand feet in elevation. They moved down the opposing ridge to the point where they believed they were directly across the canyon from the bedded bull but could not locate him from that position. After glassing for hours, at 4:15 PM, the bull stood up from his bed exactly where he had been located originally. Two minutes, one shot and 469 yards later, he had his first bull elk. As he approached the downed bull, he got nice little bonus in the form of an old and worn 7 point elk shed that was less than 10 feet away from the dead bull. After breaking down the bull, hiking out in the dark miles from where we thought he would come out, crossing the John Day River in the dark, and spending the night out on the mountainside, we finally recovered him (and his bull) the next morning. Quite the adventure.

The rifle used was a Christensen Ridgeline in 6.5 PRC topped by a Leupold VX5HD CDS 3-15x44. Ammo was Horandy Precision Hunter 143 ELDX.

Attachments

• IMG_1116.jpeg
    IMG_1116.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 228
  • IMG_1131.jpeg
    IMG_1131.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 194
  • IMG_1067.jpeg
    IMG_1067.jpeg
    489.5 KB · Views: 183
  • IMG_1222.jpeg
    IMG_1222.jpeg
    716.2 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_1064.jpeg
    IMG_1064.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 194
How did that bullet perform? It gets a lot of unwarranted hatred in these parts.

Took my two grown offspring to Oregon for a guided public land Elk hunt in the Desolation Unit the last week of October. The outfitter was an energetic young man named Walker Powell. His outfit is called No Tell 'Em Creek Outfitters. The hunt was excellent and he had us in the elk on a daily basis. Yes, there were a lot of hunters. Yes, that unit has some extremely challenging ground but Walker knows the country inside and out. I never saw a shooter bull and my youngest son had a bull shot out from under him. So it goes with public land hunting.

My eldest got it done on the second evening inside the wilderness area boundary. Around 10:30 AM they spotted the bull in his bed from around two thousand yards away across the canyon and below them around a thousand feet in elevation. They moved down the opposing ridge to the point where they believed they were directly across the canyon from the bedded bull but could not locate him from that position. After glassing for hours, at 4:15 PM, the bull stood up from his bed exactly where he had been located originally. Two minutes, one shot and 469 yards later, he had his first bull elk. As he approached the downed bull, he got nice little bonus in the form of an old and worn 7 point elk shed that was less than 10 feet away from the dead bull. After breaking down the bull, hiking out in the dark miles from where we thought he would come out, crossing the John Day River in the dark, and spending the night out on the mountainside, we finally recovered him (and his bull) the next morning. Quite the adventure.

The rifle used was a Christensen Ridgeline in 6.5 PRC topped by a Leupold VX5HD CDS 3-15x44. Ammo was Horandy Precision Hunter 143 ELDX.
AWESOME STORY!!!!!
You are a very lucky father and have two lucky sons to be able to share a hunt like that. Congrats.
God has surely blessed you guys!

ELDX Bullets are Incredible at 300yds plus But 250 and under they are unpredictable.
Oh sorry awesome Bull awesomely lucks son's and dad. Congrats
What the heck did that thing score?????
I have 2 6.5 PRc kills at 300 and 418 could not ask for better
246 blew up on the hide

Recent Posts