2020 SHOT Show: Day 1 (Tuesday, Jan 21, 2020)

ELR Researcher

2020 SHOT Show: Day 1 (Tuesday, Jan 21, 2020)

As in recent years, on Day 1 I went to specific booths throughout the entire show area, ones that I had particular interest in (heard that something was coming or just a company of usual ELR interest). I will do wall-to-walls on subsequent days. I only talk to folks about ELR and ELR-related products (and products that span the topic but are not ELR-specific per se - like reloading gear), so, typically, no info on other products. Photos are taken as I go but, because of the bandwidth available in hotels, I do not include them in my forum posts. If manufacturer links are available, I will include them in the posts - better pics, more info. If manufacturer links are not available, my pics will be included in my News page update when I get home (tentatively that update will go up on Saturday, Jan 25, late PM).

"NN" denotes "nothing new" – for booths that I visited but where I found nothing new or nothing that had not already turned up in one of my site's weekly News updates - search my News page using your browser's on-page "find" feature, much better than my site's search feature (News is at https://www.elr-resources.com/page16.html). [If you think I missed something that you feel is ELR-related and new "at SHOT", please e-mail me to let me know what you think I missed. Please be VERY specific - my call on whether ELR-related and new "at SHOT". Please e-mail me at webmaster at elr-resources.com. BTW, I only consider 338 LM and higher-performing chamberings/products as ELR. Finally, seems the trend to pre-announce products was in full view again this year with several majors putting out press releases weeks, even months, ahead of SHOT. Also, a lot of "new (since last) SHOT" pronouncements rather than new in or around that actual show dates.]

So here goes, all in alpha order, starting with the NNs.

NNs/nothing new exhibitors (recall that if a company recently announced, prior to the start of SHOT, those announcements are NOT included here) – American Rifle Company/ARC, B&T/Atlas, Barrett, Cadex, Bighorn, Capstone (Berger, Lapua, and VithaVuori), Christensen, Cutting Edge/CEB, Defiance, Drake Assoc., Federal (Alliant, Federakl, and Weaver), Geisslle, GRS, Hodgdon, Kestrel, March Optics, McMillan Fiberglass Stocks, MDT, MOA Rifles, MPA, Nightforce, Noreen (their previously announced ELR rifle was discontinued, market demand issue), Norma/RUAG, Oehler, Ruger, Safety Harbor, Safran Optics 1, Savage, Serbu, Steiner, Sierra, Strategic Armory Corp (Armalite, AWC, McMillan Firearms, and Surgeon), Swaroviski, SIG Sauer (confirmed that their .338 LM suppressor has been discontinued - lowest volume SKU), Timney, US Arms

1. Accuracy International/AI - had data sheets on the upcoming (read late 2020) "AX50 ELR" multi-caliber rifle (.375 and .408 CT and .50 BMG) - no hardware in the booth. The print size is so small I'm unable to get a clear image - I'll try again from home. the look is substantially different from any of the current designs. Single-cartridge MSRP is expected to be approximately $12K.

2. Accurate Mag - was showing their new line of aluminum magazines, full product line, 50% the weight of steel, expected to start shipping in Q2.

3. Blackwater/BWA/PBM - I spoke with Mr. Nicola Bandini regarding the continuing development of the "10x100 BWA" cartridge. He advised that the announced design is pushing a 420 gr solid to 3500 fps (barrel length ukn). Additional info on the two-piece casing - the base (7075 aluminum) screws into a 6000-series aluminum body. The cartridge headspaces off the case mouth, accommodated by a .060 neck wall thickness (I mic'd a sample in the booth) - that's roughly 3x the neck thickness of .50 BMG brass. Because the casing is machined, not drawn, the bullet-to-case-neck concentricity is very high. Nicola's plan is to pursue both CIP and SAMMI certification. They have just launched a new components site (bwabullets.com) that provides some additional info - the only cartridge "component" currently on the site is their series of bullets. Additionally, BWA announced a new ammo offering, .408 CT - using the same bullet as the 10x100 but with a comparatively modest spec MV of 2850 fps (barrel length ukn). UPDATE (1/22/20) - I spoke further with Nicola, had some questions for him based on the new products brochure and our prior discussions - (1) the BWA .408 CT ammo MV (2800) is based on a 32" barrel (Cheytac clams 2850 for their 419 gr bullet, however the CT data does not include barrel length), the 10x100 BWA MV of 3500 is from a 36" barrel (same bullet for both BWA offerings); (2) "Carobronze", the material used for the 10x100 BWA bullet, is "a super copper-zinc alloy used in aerospace for, among other things, jet engine bearings. It is very expensive but results in no bullet residue in the barrel; (3) reloadable? Yes - Nicola has personally run cases to 80K pressure for three reloads without needing to neck size; and (4) bullet-to-neck concentricity is 0.01 mm.

4. Bullet Central - was showing the just-released Bix 'n Andy "Dakota" trigger for hunters; pics and some info on their home page - https://www.bulletcentral.com/ It was also mentioned that they are going into the reloading die business (dies up to and including .50 BMG), available starting this Summer.

5. David Tubb (in the KFS booth) advised that he is expanding his XC series of cartridge designs to include a neck-up of the current 33XC (.338)/37XC (.375) to .416, the 41XC; said that in development they have reached 2900 fps MV with a 500 gr bullet (barrel length not specified; supporting dies will be available shortly. The "nose ring tool" reported from SHOT 2019 has been finished but it is unclear that it will be offered to end users (pursuing bigger fish) - mentioned that a .416 Barrett "implementation" has shown to be more accurate than CEB Lazers at extreme (read Ko2M) distances.

6. Desert Tech - announced the addition of .338 NM and .408 CT to its ammo offerings; available "soon".

7. GSL Technology - they were showing their new "GT-BMG" suppressor...for .50 cal shooters. Its made for the Barrett 99 (7/8-14 threads, not for Barrett semi-autos), is 2" OD x 13.75" long, weighs 58 oz, has an integral brake, and has a claimed 35 dB noise reduction. MSRP $1895. They also confirmed that they are producing suppressors for .375 CT and .416 Barrett builds - MSRP $1795. All three of these models are build-to-order, so don't look for them on their website. Pic to follow.

8. Hall & Pepper/H&P Manufacturing - announced they expect to have an Ugly V4-style version of their .338 LM suppressor by end of the year (2020). Testing suggests that this model will be even quieter than the original, 3D-ptinted, "Ugly" model.

9. International Barrels (Canada) - they are still working on their .50 cal, button-rifled, barrel blanks. Current max configuration is 1.750 x 32, possibly longer down stream depending on tooling (and demand). The noted configuration is "expected' to begin shipping this Summer (reported from SHOT 2019 as expected to be available in March 2019).

10. Kahles - is now in the LRF business, initial offering being the "7x25 Helia RF-M"; details at https://www.kahles.at/us/competition/products/mono-rangefinder/?tx_kahlesproducts_products[product]=7&tx_kahlesproducts_products[action]=show&tx_kahlesproducts_products[controller]=Product&cHash=c609b31d1ffe7c36080be6bbf06026a5 Website says "April 2020" for availability.

11. Kinetic Research Group/KRG - was showing the Gen 4 version of their X-Ray chassis - a long action version expected in March. Show flyer here - https://kineticresearchgroup.com/download/29356/

12. Leica - announced the addition of the PRS 5-30x56i scope and Geovid 3200 and Rangemaster CRF 3500.COM LRFs. Pics and specs for the scope at https://us.leica-camera.com/Sport-Optics/Hunting/Leica-Riflescopes/Leica-PRS/Models and the LRFs at https://us.leica-camera.com/Sport-Optics/Hunting/Leica-Rangefinders/Leica-Geovid/Models and https://us.leica-camera.com/Sport-Optics/Hunting/Leica-Compact-Rangefinders/Leica-Rangemaster/Models

13. Manners - added another camo color, "Tommy Bahama Camo"; the ELR 2.0 chassis mentioned in 2019 SHOT is still in development after being set aside for the most of 2019, the forearm is only going to be 2" longer (not 9") and the buttstock will change substantially, adding a higher cheekpiece and more adjustability; available towards Summer with some fielded at the 2020 Ko2M.

14. MK Machining - advised that they expect to have a long action version of their Rem 700 bullpup chassis by the end of 2020, it will include a chassis-specific version of Timney's Calvin Elite Gen 2 trigger.

15. Peterson Cartridge Co - announced that they will be adding the following ammo during 2020 (supposedly within a month, available initially only thru Grafs) - 338 LM, 338 NM, 375 and 408 CT; they will also be adding 33 Norma brass (3 months out); finally seems the Wildcat Tubes line has been a slow seller so the addition of a 338 LM sized product has died.

16. Pierce Precision - took some pics of their new 20X action in the Pacific Tool & Gauge/PTG booth and of their 800 series action in the RCC Brass booth. Mark Fox provided details on the 800 series - available in both "SA" and "LA" lengths (same mounting hole spacing as the corresponding Rem 700 actions but each model is .400 longer in the tenon section), 1.450 OD, .800 bolt body OD, CT boltface, load port large enough to feed and elect CT-length cartridges, accepts Wyatt bottom metal.

17. RCBS - was showing the new "Rebel" series reloading press and Uniflow III powder measure; press release, including pics, at http://media.vistaoutdoor.com/brands/rcbs/news.aspx The press has a taller opening for longer cartridges and is very sturdily designed (much larger footprint than prior single-stage models; MSRP $270. Two Rebel "kits" will be available, both include the noted powder measure.

18. Schmidt & Bender - their 2020 catalog lists the Gen II "PMII multi-turn elevation turret" with revolution-count "window". See https://www.schmidtundbender.de/en/products/turrets/pm-ii-competition/turret-generation-ii.html Unclear that this is actually "new" - I do not normally track to this level of detail.

19. Steel Core Design (in the Steel Core/CS Tactical booth) - was advised that CS Tactical is now the sole US importer of Steel Core Design rifles and that they now have a California-friendly .50 DTC version of the Cyclone model, MSRP $10.5K. They are planning on fielding a shooter with that rifle for the 2020 Ko2M.

20. Trigger Tech - was showing their two-stage version of the R700 trigger, available is about one month with an MSPR of about $300. Pics and info here - https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1461/6714/files/2020_Product_Catalog.pdf?1894

21. Ultimatum Precision - advised that they will have a single-shot version of their .338 LM action by late Spring.

22. XLR - added the Envy Pro chassis (two versions), details at https://xlrindustries.com/collections/envy-chassis-packages

Last edited:
Defiance just released their anTi action at SHOT didn't they?

Asked the man himself (Glen) if anything was new for ELR (my criteria includes support for .338 LM) and was advised no. If such an action was released, unknown to me. Nothing on their website. I won't be back there before Friday but will ask - only updating my post if appropriate.

Asked the man himself (Glen) if anything was new for ELR (my criteria includes support for .338 LM) and was advised no. If such an action was released, unknown to me. Nothing on their website. I won't be back there before Friday but will ask - only updating my post if appropriate.

I followed up on Friday and it was confirmed that Defiance has NO Ti actions. Possible the poster has them confused with another firm. That noted, I found no Ti action intros, though I was not looking for actions outside my area of focus, .338 LM-capable or larger.

Defiance Machine will be offering a new action, to be called: "anTi", which stands for "anti-Titanium".

It will be machined from pre-hardened 416R aircraft grade stainless steel, with a chrome moly bolt, stainless steel hollowed out bolt handle, and an aluminum shroud.

Long and short action will be available. It will weigh just under 21 oz, and be priced $995 for the SA, and $1049 for the LA.

I spoke with them last week, and they will begin taking orders January 27, 2020, with an expected delivery time of early July, 2020.

I stumbled upon this information while researching my next rifle build and speaking with them.

A8146116-EC2D-4860-968A-50617041ACC4.jpeg

BEB0970D-BCD0-4E1C-95FC-DF5135EFC00C.jpeg

F06343F0-424F-4398-B3E6-10B85E4FAFD4.jpeg

Last edited:
Defiance Machine will be offering a new action, to be called: "anTi", which stands for "anti-Titanium".

It will be machined from pre-hardened 416R aircraft grade stainless steel, with a chrome moly bolt, stainless steel hollowed out bolt handle, and an aluminum shroud.

Long and short action will be available. It will weigh just under 21 oz, and be priced $995 for the SA, and $1049 for the LA.

I spoke with them last week, and they will begin taking orders January 27, 2020, with an expected delivery time of early July, 2020.

I stumbled upon this information while researching my next rifle build and speaking with them.

One point of my posts includes an implicit lower threshold of interest (reporting) of .338 LM. The Defiance FB page responded to a posters inquire about a Lapua BF version of the anTi, "not at this time ". No commitment to a date = not included in my recaps. I've asked Glen the same question for years, "Anything new with a 338 LM or larger bolt face?" Same this years. His answer was that he has way too much business in their smaller actions to produce others than those with LM BF that he already offers. He did NOT mention anTi or I would have pursued the matter further. That all said, I've sent an e-mail to Defiance (Glen, el honcho) to inquire.

One point of my posts includes an implicit lower threshold of interest (reporting) of .338 LM. The Defiance FB page responded to a posters inquire about a Lapua BF version of the anTi, "not at this time ". No commitment to a date = not included in my recaps. I've asked Glen the same question for years, "Anything new with a 338 LM or larger bolt face?" Same this years. His answer was that he has way too much business in their smaller actions to produce others than those with LM BF that he already offers. He did NOT mention anTi or I would have pursued the matter further. That all said, I've sent an e-mail to Defiance (Glen, el honcho) to inquire.

Any word back from Glen?

Any word back from Glen?

I just spoke with Nick Palmiter, Sales & Marketing Manager (Glen was buried in the shop). Nick advised that there is "no current commitment" for a anTi version that will support 338 LM. Their standard for 338 LM is a .750 bolt and that would entail some level of redesign (a .750 bolt is not a current option). Nick added that they have a lot on their plate for anTi in advance of adding this capability.

I just spoke with Nick Palmiter, Sales & Marketing Manager (Glen was buried in the shop). Nick advised that there is "no current commitment" for a anTi version that will support 338 LM. Their standard for 338 LM is a .750 bolt and that would entail some level of redesign (a .750 bolt is not a current option). Nick added that they have a lot on their plate for anTi in advance of adding this capability.

Copy that, and thanks for the update. I placed an order for a SA anTi today. They are looking at a July delivery date.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.