2022 SHOT Show: Day 1 (Tuesday, Jan 18, 2022)

ELR Researcher

2022 SHOT Show: Day 1 (Tuesday, Jan 18, 2022)

As in recent years, on Day 1 I went to specific booths throughout the entire show area, ones that I had particular interest in (heard that something was coming or just a company of usual ELR interest). I will do wall-to-walls on subsequent days. I only talk to folks about ELR and ELR-related products (and products that span the topic but are not ELR-specific per se - like reloading gear), so, typically, no info on other companies/products on Day 1. Photos are taken as I go but, because of the bandwidth available in hotels, I do not include them in my forum posts. If manufacturer's links are available, I will include them in the posts. If manufacturer's links are not available, my pics will be included in my News page update when I get home (I expect that update will go up on Saturday, Jan 22, late PM).

"NN" denotes "nothing new" – for booths that I visited but where I found nothing new or nothing that had not already been posted up in one of my site's weekly News updates - search my News page using your browser's on-page "find" feature (News is at https://www.elr-resources.com/page16.html).

If you think I missed something that you feel is ELR-related and was actually new/announced for the first time "at SHOT", please e-mail me to let me know what you think I missed. Please be VERY specific (links if available, please) - my call on whether ELR-related and new "at SHOT". Please e-mail me at webmaster at elr-resources.com. BTW, I only consider 338 LM and higher-performing chamberings/products as ELR. Finally, seems the trend to pre-announce products was in full view again this year with several majors putting out press releases weeks, even months, ahead of SHOT. Also, a lot of "new (since last) SHOT" pronouncements rather than actually new at the show.

So here goes, all in alpha order, starting with the NNs…almost. Noting that several SHOT regulars decided to pass on exhibiting this year, I reached out by phone to see what I might learn about their plans for 2022…few were willing to disclose.

NNs – Bell & Carlson, Burris, Defiance Machine, McMillan Fiberglass Stocks, Proof Research, SilencerCo, Steiner, Steyr, and XLR.

All with something to share, were already added to my site's Jan 15 News page update.

Back to Day 1 (reduced coverage than prior years - getting too old/mobility issues and asking too many questions in the available window, missed areas will be picked up ASAP; tons of empty space and the lowest Day-1 attendance I can recall in almost 10 years - NSSF provided a very favorable "stay-at-home" deal for exhibitors and it was abundantly apparent that MANY companies took that deal; there were also MANY booths where exhibitors were still waiting on their gear):

1. NNs/nothing new exhibitors (recall that if a company recently announced, prior to the start of SHOT, those announcements are NOT included here) – Accuracy International, Alliant (powders), B&T (Swiss), Barrett, Berger, Christensen Arms, Desert Tech, Elftmann Tactical, GA Precision, GSL Technology, Forster, Frankford Arsenal, Freedom Munitions, Gunwerks, H&M Metal Processing, Hornady, Kestrel, KGM Technologies, Kinetic Research Group/KRG, Lab Radar, Lapua, Leica Sports Optics, Leupold, Lyman, Nightforce, Norma/RUAG, OSS Suppressors, Peterson Brass, RCBS, Sierra Bullets, Strategic Arms Corps (Armalite, McMillan Rifles, and Surgeon), SWORD International, WOOX, x-Treme Bullets, ZCO, Zeiss Sports Optics.

2. Advanced Shooting Analytics/ASA - was showing a near-production version of their first rifle chassis/rifle showcasing their thermal-variation-mitigation (my term) technology. This offering will support cartridges up to and including 338 LM and .375 Swiss. Detailed specs, pricing, and availability coming soon (promised). Chassis pics on their FB page, https://www.facebook.com/AdvancedShootingAnalytics They have selected and are working closely with a high-end scope manufacturer on scope models complimentary to their tech. Pics (mine) to follow.

3. Badger Ordnance - was showing their heavy duty "C1 MAX" scope mounts, shipping in March; pics and info on their FB page, https://www.facebook.com/Badger-Ordnance-274076195941982/

4. Cadex - to my inquiry as to whether the previously-announced single-shot ELR rifle was built to a tighter action spec, I was advised, No; availability of the previously-announced "ammo" product line - 375 CT/1st ELR priority, 375 EnABELR/2nd ELR priority, and 338 LM/3rd ELR priority, all within 2-3 months; 50 BMG further done the line.

5. Elite Iron - updated the status on the previously (2 years ago) announced "Asset" series suppressor for the 375 CT (MSRP: $1795, shipping this quarter); noted that with enough expressed interest he would build one for the .416 Barrett.

6. Horus Vision - introduced the 6.5-40x50 "HOVR" spotting scope with TREMOR 4 reticle; expected MSRP under $2K, available in the Spring. Pics to follow.

7. Ionbond - had a sample of an AR "bolt" that had been pre-treated with their new "Superfinish" surface-prep product before applying DLC (the same process can also be used with their other coatings). The sample was semi-gloss to glossy in appearance, looked very nice. The rep said if the part started with an Ra (roughness average) of 30, after Superfinish it would have an Ra of about 10. Superfinish is expected to be available in 2-4 months.

8. Manners Composite Stocks - was showing their "LRT 2.0" ELR stock, a low volume production model with (in comparison with their current LRT/long range tactical stock) an even more extended forearm, substantial weight saving (stocks weigh 5.5-6 #), even more structural strength, and the integration of a Manners-spec'd version of Long Shot Precision's bag rider. Tom (Manners) advised that he personally layes up these stocks, that 36 have already been produced (almost all spoken for), and 40 more planned for this year. Pics to follow.

9. March/DEON - though not present at the show, I was advised that they recently introduced an MOA version of their March-FX 5-42x56 (wide angle) scope, https://marchscopes.com/scopes/d42hv56wfiml-2/

10. MDT - update on the JAE LA chassis (2nd half of '22)

11. MK Machining - got an update on the Rem 700 LA version of their MK2 bullpup chassis. It's expected to start production and deliveries in the Spring - pics to follow. I also inquired about that chassis' ability to accommodate a CT-sized action and was told that they would be willing to do custom chassis if the associated action was round, no larger than 1.450" in diameter, a single-shot, and uses a Rem 700-pattern trigger. [As best I know the smaller, single-shot version of the Stiller TAC DRIVER (the re-name of the TAC 408) is the only action that matches those requirements.]

12. Schmidt and Bender - announced some upgrades to the 5-25x56 PMII (changed to metal for some parts and added the capability to add a polarizer to the ocular (eye end). No model name change, look for the ID number to begin with 689. They also introduced the 6-36x56 PMII - https://www.schmidtundbender.de/en/...tml?download=2501:datasheet-6-36x56-pm-ii,-us - note that max elevation changes depending on the reticle selected, don't recall ever seeing such a spec). MSRP: TBD; availability: Summer.

13. Vigilance - oldie but goodie, was told that they are scratch-building some Windrunner M96s (using K&P barrels, will do them in .416 Barrett, 460 Steyr, 510 DTC, and .50 BMG, $8500).