2015 WY Antelope Father Son

MDSurgeon591

My dad and I are going to go out to Wyoming for the first time (non-resident) in 2015. I am not sure how much longer he will be able to do anything like this so the sooner the better. Anyway, I have been reading up as much as possible but would like any advice that you guys are willing to give. The biggest thing that is important to me is not the size but the chance of my dad taking one. Obviously getting a big on would be great but just getting one would make us both happy. Thanks

The first thing is which species. Followed closely by having a tag, tied to this is how many preference points you have. Points will play a strong role in which tags you may be able to get.

This would be the first time ever trying to get tags so we have no points. We would be going for male pronghorns. if I understand correctly you have to apply for a tag and not get it in order to get points. I may be wrong though.

I would give Tyler Sims Outfitting a call. They are a sponsor of this site. I have hunted with them before and highly recommend them. They have close to 100% success rate on their hunts and it is a quality hunt.

Call them, they will explain your tag/point options and even apply for you. They will make the whole thing smooth.

Good Luck!

Points can be acquired by applying for a tag, or can be purchased by themselves, but that time has passed for this coming year.

Antelope can be a great do it yourself hunt, first you have to get the tag. Many of the areas with the best public access require multiple points, which requires multiple years.

I think the suggestion of a guide is a good one. The reason being is some of the guide services have leases that provide better access to private grounds. This in turn can give you a better tag with fewer to zero points.

I've heard good things about Tyler Sims, and have used SNS, there are others. Call both if you haven't heard what you want, the Wyoming Guides and Outfitters can give you a list.

Good Luck

I was hoping to do a DIY hunt. I went to Idaho in October and and had great success. I don't mind going on guided hunts but the feeling of doing something yourself in a completely new area is much more satisfying. Is this possible to do a DIY I would like to that.

Yes it is. There good threads every year covering that specifically. For older posts check back in the antelope section for older threads, or hopefully someone that knows the easy to draw areas first hand will kick in. Good Luck!

Yes it is. There good threads every year covering that specifically. For older posts check back in the antelope section for older threads, or hopefully someone that knows the easy to draw areas first hand will kick in. Good Luck!

Thanks Haper. My fingers are crossed. I am going to be covering the costs of the trip for myself and my dad. That is the other issue going with a guide. I want to try and surprise him. Thanks for your input.

This is very possible to do in a DIY. Sending in an app is coming up for out of state tags. You need to get your act in order real soon. If you don't draw keep an eye on the leftover tags. You'll have a chance at them later on in the year. I think in Aug. You don't need any points for that one. First come first serve.

On the other hand, an outfitter can take a lot of the logistics out of your problems. If this is something that needs to be done right a way, Look in this direction.

He doesn't need to do anything overnight on this, but should start getting all the information together to decide whether he wants to do a DIY or guided hunt. Wyoming has changed the application period for NRs to match the residents and the new dates are 1/1-6/1 instead of 1/1-3/15. The best I can offer if you don't want to do a guided hunt is to see if you can lock in a ranch fairly soon for unit 23 just south of Gillette. If you can do that, you can either put in for the tags in the draw or wait and buy the tags as leftovers on line when they go on sale in July. There are always hundreds of buck and doe tags left in that unit and Wyoming allows 2 buck tags and 4 doe tags in that area.

He doesn't need to do anything overnight on this, but should start getting all the information together to decide whether he wants to do a DIY or guided hunt. Wyoming has changed the application period for NRs to match the residents and the new dates are 1/1-6/1 instead of 1/1-3/15. The best I can offer if you don't want to do a guided hunt is to see if you can lock in a ranch fairly soon for unit 23 just south of Gillette. If you can do that, you can either put in for the tags in the draw or wait and buy the tags as leftovers on line when they go on sale in July. There are always hundreds of buck and doe tags left in that unit and Wyoming allows 2 buck tags and 4 doe tags in that area.

Do you by any chance know a way I could get my hands on some phone numbers or ways that I can contact these people? You have been a great help by the way and I really appreciate it.

The G&F used to have a list, but I'm now hearing that it's either not up to date or they aren't passing that information out any more. You might try contacting their Gillette Office, as well as the Gillette Chamber of Commerce to see if they can help you, as I think they also used to have lists. I have no idea if they still do though.

I'd second the Tyler Sims recommendation. I took my oldest son to Wyoming before he graduated high school and joined the Army. It was a graduation gift to hm as he had never been out west with me to hunt. Tyler's hunt area is mostly private and as such you likely will not have any difficulty drawing tags without points. Your Dad will enjoy the trip and you will see hundreds of goats a day. I realize you do not need the services of an outfitter to hunts goats in Wyoming, but if pressed for time and wanting to make the most of it for your Dad, I'd certainly give Tyler a call.

Tyler's whole crew was great with my son and made him feel like one of the guys. They didn't treat him any differently,.....except conning him into eating mountain oysters at a local school fundraising dinner by convincing him that there was actually such a creature.

Dirty Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.