2015 WY Antelope Father Son

Give me an idea of what the sizes are so I can comment.

Well...... I have gone through all of the properties in unit 23 that were on the list and found several nice size parcels and several not so nice. The smaller ones are only a couple of square miles. That just doesn't seem like much. I know the larger ones are plenty big enough but the chances of me getting in contact and securing the land for a couple days don't seem very good.

Well...... I have gone through all of the properties in unit 23 that were on the list and found several nice size parcels and several not so nice. The smaller ones are only a couple of square miles. That just doesn't seem like much. I know the larger ones are plenty big enough but the chances of me getting in contact and securing the land for a couple days don't seem very good.

I have no idea why you are saying that if you haven't even made any calls and 1300 acres is a decent sized chunk of land if there are any animals on it and it's not overhunted. The first place I went with my buddy on a small tract of less than 1000 acres resulted in a B&C buck over 82" the second morning of the season last year and that was on public land!

I have no idea why you are saying that if you haven't even made any calls and 1300 acres is a decent sized chunk of land if there are any animals on it and it's not overhunted. The first place I went with my buddy on a small tract of less than 1000 acres resulted in a B&C buck over 82" the second morning of the season last year and that was on public land!

I am just not sure that is why I was asking. The map that I am looking at has little sections that are square mile blocks. I have never been out there and 1 Square mile just doesn't seem like that much. I am going to make a couple of calls today. I will let you know what comes out of it.

I'm not an expert, but am looking at the same area as you. And I have experience hunting antelope. Driving around Gilette, there were antelope freakin' everywhere. Practically in town, all on private land. Stupid unreal numbers of them.

Given my experience hunting elsewhere, I would be geeked to have access to 2 square miles of land where the antelope had not been disturbed. I've killed a fair number of antelope in other states and never had the luxury of such a large tract of land. The key is them being undisturbed. Once you start shooting/spooking them, the herd is 4 miles away in 5 minutes.

I found out that the numbers on the list that Fish and Game give you are really out of date. With that being said I was able to lock in an area with several thousand acres. The man was really nice and really helpful. It cost $750 per person for 5 days. Definitely not a bargain but still much cheaper than a guide. Let me know if this sounds about right. Thanks for everybody's help.

IMHO that's way more than the going rate if it's only "several thousand acres" and there is no guarantee there are even any goats on the property. For that kind of fee they ought to have at least 8-10 thousand acres for antelope. For deer that may not be a bad deal if the terrain supported a decent herd. Goats are a dime a dozen out in that country.

IMHO that's way more than the going rate if it's only "several thousand acres" and there is no guarantee there are even any goats on the property. For that kind of fee they ought to have at least 8-10 thousand acres for antelope. For deer that may not be a bad deal if the terrain supported a decent herd. Goats are a dime a dozen out in that country.

I was kind of thinking that was high. I do not understand why it is per person if the land is taken by one or eight people it shouldn't really matter. I will keep looking but the phone numbers are wrong and there isn't really much else I can find. He did say that he had a large group come out there and they limited out in a day. Do you think it is worth my time to try and get him down on the price?

I see a lot of non residents giving advice here and I dont like any of it. Do not hire and outfitter and do not hunt anywhere east of the big horns. there is a reason there are lots of left over tags. sure you can find an antelope to shoot over there but you will spend a lot of time looking for them on BLM or paying an outrageous trespass fee for mediocre antelope. 13-14" bucks are better than average over there. You need to read my thread
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f80/may-help-those-nr-wanting-hunt-wy-142257/
and send me a PM if you need some help. I think its very cool you are doing this for your dad I can help you get your best odds at a hunt in a good area. The one in that link isnt the only one. Wyoming has a LOT of public land and a LOT of antelope there is no reason to hire an outfitter or pay more than about $25 for a tresspass fee. I have never paid one in my life but I would be open to a small one if I had to.

Good luck

Don't like any of the NR replies---really?!!! I just clicked on your link for your thoughts and here are the 2014 draw stats for NRs with no PPs for those two antelope units you suggested:

82-1 Reg Draw---4 tags available---61 1st choice applicants
82-1 Spec---------2 tags available-- 0 1st choice applicants

97/117-1 Reg Draw---8 tags available---85 1st choice applicants
97/117-1 Spec---------6tags available----6 1st choice applicants

97/117-2 Reg Draw----4 tags available---11 applicants
07/117-2 Spec----------2 tags available--- 0 applicants

Yea, those are some real good units west of the BigHorns for him to try for when he wants a sure hunt out there in 2015, LOL!!! Care to give him some more great ideas?

A hidden gem, you say, LOL! What's my point? There are only 2 tags offered in those 2 draws and you're giving that as good advice when the guy wants a 100% chance of going out this year and in a unit where there are a decent number of goats! All it would take is several more putting in for that draw and he's screwed!!! You have to be kidding me with that kind of advice and then asking what's wrong with it for cripes sake!

Nothing is guaranteed but it's pretty dang close. And quality of hint on the east side is in the garbage compared to staying west of the big horns. There are usually left overs like you say so that can be plan B.

Your need to constantly argue is exhausting considering you are just some flat lander from Michigan.

Nothing is guaranteed but it's pretty dang close. And quality of hint on the east side is in the garbage compared to staying west of the big horns. There are usually left overs like you say so that can be plan B.

Your need to constantly argue is exhausting considering you are just some flat lander from Michigan.

You have got to be kidding me! You're going to tell anyone after looking at those stats with only 2 tags offered and say it's close to a sure thing?! Is that the new math you learned or something, LOL! If 2 other people in the entire country put in for those tags his chance goes down to 50%. If 4 others put in for it his chance goes down to 33%. If, by chance, overall tags are cut by just a few for 2015 those 2 tags might go to 1 or 0 the way NR tags are allocated for the draws.

I might be a flatlander from MI, but I hunt in Wyoming every year and obviously know considerably more about the NR draws after reading your suggestion! We also took a 330" bull this past season along with a B&C antelope that is better than 82" and two very nice 4x4 mulies. If you want to talk about arguing about something, at least have something meaningful on your side to discuss for God's sake! Furthermore, the next time you send me a ****y, ridiculous PM calling me an idiot like you just did this afternoon, it will go up on the Forum to show everyone just what you're all about. In fact, if you come back at me again on here, that one is saved and it will go up on this thread! Now take a hike and grow up!

Last edited:
Like I said nothing is for sure but its (97) a far superior area to anything over on the east side in 2012 it had no body put in for it as first choice.. so obviously it changes from year to year. Anyone can look at draw odds online and come to whatever conclusion they want. But the fact of the matter is hunting west of the bighorns is much easier with far better trophy quality.. You say "we" killed this and that, I have been hearing that same thing out of you for years, what have you killed? I know a couple of your buddies kill some decent stuff every once in a while..not hard to do in wyoming.. but it does not make you an expert.. you are an argumentative old man with something to prove and a whole lot of time to spend on the internet.. Yes I sent you a PM asking if you ever get tired of being an idiot.. go ahead and post it up.. actually I will do it for you...

"Do you ever get tired of being an idiot? Every board you are On you do nothing but argue. You don't even kill very much stuff. And from what I have seen nothing you kill is very impressive. You think you are an expert on wyoming yet have nothing to show for it. "

There it is flat lander... anyone who has followed you on this or any other hunting board knows that all you do is argue with people. I wont be bullied by you and I am not backing down. I call it like I see it. Now enough bickering.. If you have anything else to argue about do it via Pm per the rules..which is why I sent that PM in the first place..

To The OP I appologize for the interruption from your post. To elaborate further on your question, no the areas I suggest are not 100% but they are very close and your chances at drawing are very good..obviously nothing in life is 100% and as people pointed out before there are usually left over tags over on the east side of the state. so you can easily pick one up after the draw if you are unsuccessful in the draw for one of the better areas. so really there is nothing to lose by putting in for a better unit. feel free to PM me if you want to talk about some other units.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.