2011 Prairie Cow Elk Alberta

SBriggs

So my hunting partner and myslef , got to shoot our first Elk this year on a special draw here in southern Alberta!

Was nice going Elk hunting only 20 mins from the house! Hard setting up a long range shot here in the prairies!

Got mine opening day (top pic) and it was 33 deg C or 91 deg F! Hunted all day got her twenty minutes before last light! When we finally got to her it was still 25 deg C! Got here at 402 yds, would have liked longer but they are few and far between.
We're seeing 25 bulls to 1 cow.

The next one was shot at 740 yds high shoulder, about 11 days later! She had 3 bulls with here that did not want to leave her!Had to chase them off when we got up to her!

Was even great fun even for me, I was doing the spotter duties! Went to defensive edge this summer and learned alot about what your part is as a spotter! It was a little nerve racking try to run everything but we got her done! I'd swear I was more reved up than he was, trying not to make a mistake!

We're are both shooting 300 wins with hornady 208 gr A-max's! Preformed pretty well on elk!
Same thing was about 30 deg for his , made for long nights, get home debone and get in freezer asap!

Also big thanks to Shawn for the class this summer! Completely changed how we do things long Range Hunting! Helped alot!

Attachments

• cow elk 2011 008.jpg
    cow elk 2011 008.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 118
  • cow elk 2011 016.jpg
    cow elk 2011 016.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 129
Yeah the licking the barrel thing was very unintentional!

First pic we took was good but we didn't realize it was getting worse with every pic and this was one of the last pic's! I would rather it not be hanging out but that's what happend when your hurrying!
SB

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.