Alberta Elk

FGRshooter

Hey guys, I've seen some great stories and picks in here lately and just thought I'd add mine to the pile. Living in an area with lots of farm and ranch land we have very liberal seasons in order to keep elk numbers down (good for farmers bad for hunters) and the rule here is 3 point or better in the general season. I do most of my hunting on the public land along the river as the elk tend to hit the bush pretty quick when the pressure starts. Second day of the season the snow was really supposed to hit so I made sure to be in one of my favorite spots when daylight came and started walking the river. An hour in 4 cows with calves came out about 200yrds away and headed for the river, I quickly set up and waited for the bull. When he came out I was ready for him, only I couldn't see more than two points no matter how hard I looked and he walked away unscathed. I sat there for awhile calming down and appreciating just getting that close to success and I decided to play with the cows a little. I started calf calling and the cows which weren't out of sight yet were happy to call back, then I heard what sounded like a bull and another elk came charging out of the trees but this time there was no mistaking legality. Three shots and he only went far enough to make me have to wade through knee deep water to get to him, but what a cool looking elk with heavy brows and good bottoms. Weak in the tops but good character. After gutting him I went back to my truck and called a good friend who became a great friend when he agreed to bring his quads out for the recovery. Unfortunately I'm terrible about forgetting to take field pics so we got a few after we got out to the road. As a side note I was using a stock mod. 70 30-06 with 168gr VLD's and they put that elk down as fast as anything I've seen, I was a little worried they wouldn't penetrate enough on an elk but no more. Thanks for listening and good luck to anyone who still has an open season!

Attachments

• 2013 elk.jpg
    2013 elk.jpg
    230 KB · Views: 63
  • 2013 elk 2.jpg
    2013 elk 2.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 57
  • 2013 elk 3.jpg
    2013 elk 3.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 65
Nice bull! Am wondering where your at in Alberta, I'm from the states but get to Lloydminster about once a month.Usually end up at Roseburg Station,near Drumheller.
Am just starting to investigate hunting Alberta for next year, you've got some huge Mule'ies up there as well as elk and moose!
Thanks for the post and pic's

Shorty, I'm southwest of red deer. Fantastic elk habitat but like I said way too over pressured. If I was an outsider looking to come in to hunt Alberta, id be leaning toward mulies in the south as you mentioned or moose up north as they have been strictly lottery for rifle hunting (or outfitter tags) for about 12 years and some nice bulls come out of there. I have found that the peak of the moose rut is around the first week in October where I hunt about an hour north of Edmonton. If you do come this way hope things work out for you.

Thanks FGRshooter, Have seen some very good mule deer in and around the badlands so am leaning that way. Best of luck for next year,look's like your meatpole is full for now!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.