2011 Mule Deer

landcbeitner

Here's the buck I took this weekend in Washington State. My buddy and I hunted from opening day of "High Buck" and 3 days in I took this buck. We saw one bigger but couldn't get a shot at him. Passed a few bucks as well. I saw three much larger bucks in pre-season scouting.

Shot was 482 yards downhill .91 cos.

025.jpg

035.jpg

It was a heck of a pack out. We still have to go back in to get a buck for my buddy and pack out some gear we left up there. Special thanks to Benchmark Barrels!

Thanks guys,

The rifle is a trued Rem 700 in an AICS,
Benchmark barrel (.277" 1:9 twist) 28", chambered in 270 win
Rem Varmint contour, fluted, mini "muscle" brake
Tuned factory trigger etc.

I also use this rifle for matches... I shoot the 165gr Matrix bullets at 2890 fps.

The tent is a Kifaru Tipi tent (it belongs to my buddy)
Tipis
Looks like you make a nice tipi tent yourself!

Why would you shoot a buck that is as small as that one? That is just wrong. Just joking landcbeitner.. That's a hell of a nice one. They can't grow to that size around here, because the amateurs shoot everything that moves and won't let the small ones walk by so they can get bigger. My brother in law is included in that group. He shot a whitetail 3 years ago and could pick it up using one hand. He said it didn't have spots but he never showed it to anyone. Good job man..

Sorry I didn't take a whole bunch of pics before I downed that one....

Here's a pic from pre-season scouting... I was hunting bear at the time also (that's why I had the rifle along).
015.jpg

Here's a buck I passed up the evening before....
011.jpg

Here's my buddy (Ron of Benchmark Barrels)
028.jpg

This is basically how I was set up for the shot although this was from the evening before looking at some other bucks...
012.jpg

Another one of the buck...
021-1.jpg

Very nice! Curious about your thoughts on bullets terminal performance, every indication I've had is they should be great but season is a few weeks away still. Also what powder are you using, we've been running around the 2830fps mark with a 28in barreled 270 win. with 4831 ssc and 7828.

Terminal performance was excellent. This is the only animal I've shot with Matrix. I wouldn't hesitate to use them on anything after seeing the damage done on this buck, but you definitely can't judge a bullet completely on one instance. The bullet looked as if it expanded very rapidly and didn't exit.

I'm using H-1000.... about 58.5gr.

That's not exactly a "rear rest" but it worked for the circumstance where the rear had to be up so high to make the shot. Here's a link Home - PRECISION RIFLE SOLUTIONS, LLC I like them most for use like this..... when the bi-pod on the rifle isn't tall enough
120.jpg

They are excellent for shooting off of in seated or kneeling positions as well. Mine goes tall enough where you could even do a "hunched over" standing shot if need be.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.