2010 first moose hunt

You were using good calibers. Maybe got a little excited and took quick shots, maybe the moose is just got the better of you. Better luck next time.

rtv900 are you saying 78 is too old to be going moose hunting? I assume you were just making a funny? My first moose I killed was with my 78 year old grandfather flying me in to a very sketchy dirt runway in the mountains with his supercub!. He also flew me in to go salmon fishing in the middle of nowhere with brown bears fishing along side us up until the day he passed. If I am not hunting dangerous game at 78 I don't know what I would do?

While I appreciate you sharing the story, that was extremely irresponsible. Your father has hunted for a long time and should know his limits.

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone. IF you feel you're a perfect person in every way, you're only deluding yourself.

This 17 year-old didn't post his hunting story to be issued a life sentence in prison. Can you understand that?

He's one of us. No one in their hunting camp planned to wound a moose, have a 78-year old companion enter a physical state of crisis, and walk away from a wounded moose. Rubbing salt in the wound it the more irresponsible interaction, and that's what you're doing. You'd think he committed a felony. Let go, give this young man a little bit of slack. Live and let live. Some day when you make your FIRST error or mistake in life, you may feel a bit differently.

Last edited:
rtv900 are you saying 78 is too old to be going moose hunting? I assume you were just making a funny? My first moose I killed was with my 78 year old grandfather flying me in to a very sketchy dirt runway in the mountains with his supercub!. He also flew me in to go salmon fishing in the middle of nowhere with brown bears fishing along side us up until the day he passed. If I am not hunting dangerous game at 78 I don't know what I would do?

78 is only too old if you're younger than 78. Once you're 78, then 79 is too old... :)

I hope I die hunting in my 90s. But I don't expect to have too many hunting partners. Most will have passed away at a younger age! :D :D

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone. IF you feel you're a perfect person in every way, you're only deluding yourself.

This 17 year-old didn't post his hunting story to be issued a life sentence in prison. Can you understand that?

He's one of us. No one in their hunting camp planned to wound a moose, have a 78-year old companion enter a physical state of crisis, and walk away from a wounded moose. Rubbing salt in the wound it the more irresponsible interaction, and that's what you're doing. You'd think he committed a felony. Let go, give this young man a little bit of slack. Live and let live. Some day when you make your FIRST error or mistake in life, you may feel a bit differently.

I see where you are coming from...not wanting to be to harsh on him. But, we have all made a valid point (that is preached by almost everyone on this site) in a polite manner. Which is, if you haven't practiced enough to be proficient at the range you are shooting at then you shouldn't be taking the shot on game. And I wouldn't call 2 out of 7(?) very proficient shooting, would you? Especially when the target is the size of large bull moose... So how is it an irresponsible interaction to call someone out on something they screwed up on? That's how people learn...

From the way he told the story it sounded kinda like they saw the bull, got excited and just started slinging lead at it. It got hit a couple times but apparently not very well since it wasn't found... You can stand up for they kid all you want, but there is no way your going to convince me that this was just an innocent mistake. It was totally irresponsible and neither him nor his dad should have even thought about shooting unless they new full well that they would be able to make a clean and ethical kill.

You were using good calibers. Maybe got a little excited and took quick shots, maybe the moose is just got the better of you. Better luck next time.

Yes yes. Everyone was picking on this poor kid but no one had brought up the age of the older gentleman yet so I had too. Glad you caught onto my dry humor.

Really it was a hunt that didn't go as planned. Can people really beat up on him anymore? He was brave enough to tell his story and people jump on him like they have never goofed up before.

I am a very good rifle shooter. I have killed a lot of stuff. Not much of it at a long range. I practice a lot but I can totally see this situation happen to me. A shot that leaves good result on the ground. A moose that is a little tougher than one may have thought or had any reason to expect. A person that was having chest pains (can happen to anyone. My 39 year old friend died two months ago from a heart attack) and it just didn't work out as planned.

Several people have missed out on what's important. A young man went hunting with his Dad and is living a dream. Moose hunting on a DYI hunt and enjoying the company of family and friends. No reason to flame the kid or his Dad.

That's my $0.02 for the day. :)

So how is it an irresponsible interaction to call someone out on something they screwed up on? That's how people learn...

From the way he told the story it sounded kinda like they saw the bull, got excited and just started slinging lead at it. It got hit a couple times but apparently not very well since it wasn't found... You can stand up for they kid all you want, but there is no way your going to convince me that this was just an innocent mistake. It was totally irresponsible and neither him nor his dad should have even thought about shooting unless they new full well that they would be able to make a clean and ethical kill.

Never said it was irresponsible. Who made you God? I'm saying it's rude and inconsiderate. If that's your role in life, to point out any flaw you can find in anyone else's hunt or Post, then I would have to conclude that you believe you have the right, and a mandate, to do so. Go for it, if you want to taint the young man's hunting Thread further.

Did he ask you for your corrective oversight and comments? What did he say to lead you to believe his intent for posting the Thread was to receive a lecture from others with the "better than thou" attitude.

I'm not trying to convince you of anything. I'm pointing out the flaws in your attitude and responses, and giving you back some of what you're delivering to the OP.

How do you know they didn't believe they'd prepared properly? How do you know they didn't get buck fever and become non-functional. I knew an elderly man that got so excited hunting whitetails with his archery equipment that he would shoot into the ground in front of a deer standing 25 feet away. He was deadly on targets. One morning I walked over to his blind and he had bitten the pipe stem off his corncob pipe due to uncontrollable excitement while some does walked past at very close range. Nicest adult hunter I ever knew in my younger years. As ethical as the sky is blue. The answer to how do you know? You don't.

So the fact that you believe I'm insistent on changing your mind is a mistake. All I'm doing is making you look immature and arrogant for insisting on delivering your all-knowing better than thou corrective comments. Corrective comments based around your standards of conduct and ethics. Which you're eager to enforce on other members.

If you're truly interested in providing what you believe to be corrective advice to the OP, why don't you try sending him a personal message, rather than crowing like a rooster on the Forum? Or would you not find that as satisfying?

Make no mistake about one thing, He never solicited your opinion or ethics. Never even asked for your passing comments. You're the one that's made the decision to correct and impose your standards. Simply can't contain yourself? Have to talk down in front of an audience?

Your's and other posts reek of an effort to force your personal ethics on another member's hunting experience after-the-fact. The 17 year old hunter displays a lot of maturity, in comparison.

Have no misunderstanding: I fully understand you feel the need, and believe it's your God given duty to correct other's hunting experiences on this public Forum. I can't help that. That part would be up to you, and you alone.

Don't feel bad, it happens. I shot a large bull elk with my 300 RUM. Set up for 5 minutes and felt great with the first shot. Shot right over his back and dirt flew up as he was on the side of a hill. Shot again. Heard the slap and watched him stumble into some trees before I could get another shot. I was convinced he'd be down when we got up there. There was nothing but blood which we tracked for several hours. The blood disappeared and we never saw another sign of him. That was several weeks ago and I've replayed the scenario over in my head a 1000 times. It's still eating at me and probably will for a long time...

Rubbing salt in the wound it the more irresponsible interaction, and that's what you're doing.

Never said it was irresponsible.

Sure pal...

It was my understanding that the general consensus around here is to know your capabilities and limitations and making shots at game beyond that is "irresponsible". Do you disagree? I've had buck fever a time or two. Just last month I had a bull elk at 50 yards and didn't take the shot with my bow because I couldn't calm my nerves enough to be sure I'd make a clean shot. I have pins out 60 and practiced all year but I didn't want to take a chance on and just start shootin...

Make no mistake about one thing, I'm glad the guy has you to stick up for him. What would he do without you:)

Sure pal...

Make no mistake about one thing, I'm glad the guy has you to stick up for him. What would he do without you:)

The better question here is what would he, or the rest of us, do without you? And your critique of his hunt and hunting methods. Answer: Life would be grand for all - except perhaps you.

You obviously feel your personal ethics and preferences levitate you to the position of walking on water. We all need more of you's in hunting camp. Then everyone could be criticized, hounded, and harassed by your efforts towards submission to the point that everyone does everything perfect. Like you - of course.

You should think about creating a hunting school so you could crow and boast to subjects that actually want to listen to your lecturing on the folly of their ways... pal.

"You obviously feel your personal ethics and preferences levitate you to the position of walking on water. "

Haha wth are talking about man? Do I really seem that judgmental? My whole point is something that is widely accepted around here and preached by most everyone. DON'T SHOOT BEYOND YOUR CAPABILITIES AT ANIMALS. It's not like I told him I thought he is a bad person. I just think he used poor judgment and someone should let him know.

You never answered this:It was my understanding that the general consensus around here is to know your capabilities and limitations and making shots at game beyond that is "irresponsible". Do you disagree?

So, we have a different approach I guess. The kid did some unethical shooting (by most hunters standards), and you want to pat his back and tell him better luck next time. I on the other hand decided to "play god" and tell him the error of his ways. Someone had to do it.

I know your going to respond to this...you'll probably have some more smart *** crap to say. Go nuts man! I'm looking forward to seeing what you make of my latest post full of criticism, hounding and harassment. haha

"You obviously feel your personal ethics and preferences levitate you to the position of walking on water. "

Haha wth are talking about man? Do I really seem that judgmental? My whole point is something that is widely accepted around here and preached by most everyone. DON'T SHOOT BEYOND YOUR CAPABILITIES AT ANIMALS. It's not like I told him I thought he is a bad person. I just think he used poor judgment and someone should let him know.

You never answered this:It was my understanding that the general consensus around here is to know your capabilities and limitations and making shots at game beyond that is "irresponsible". Do you disagree?

So, we have a different approach I guess. The kid did some unethical shooting (by most hunters standards), and you want to pat his back and tell him better luck next time. I on the other hand decided to "play god" and tell him the error of his ways. Someone had to do it.

I know your going to respond to this...you'll probably have some more smart *** crap to say. Go nuts man! I'm looking forward to seeing what you make of my latest post full of criticism, hounding and harassment. haha

Almighty, Master Hunter: I'm afraid you're not all-knowing. And I consider myself fortunate to be able to bring this information to your attention. Lucky me. I get to criticize the criticizer. Read the rules of this Forum: Ethics are not to be preached or discussed. By your own admission, you're preaching/enforcing your set of ethics. That would mean your interaction and Posts within this Thread are out-of-bounds. The reason for these rules? Member's that can't help but impose their perfect set of ethics on the less fortunate amongst us. God help us.

I think you're beginning to receive my message, since you're beginning to get defensive. You're pretending like it doesn't really matter, but truth is - it really does - and you can't contain yourself.

But..., just in case this message isn't sinking in:

Lesson for M_Shock: It's not near such great fun Posting about topics of interest when the nature of the Posts turn on you and you become the subject of the criticism.

Congratulations on a memorable hunt with people you care about. That is ultimately what it's all about.

phorwath makes some pretty good points.

I've got considerable experience hunting moose in the big north woods, so I'll simply list a few facts.

Fact 1) Both a .270 and .300 wsm are fine moose hunting calibers. One of my favorite hunts was watching a 12 year old take a moose with a single shot through the lungs with a 95 grain SST bullet out of a 6mm Remington. Simply ignore as inexperienced anyone suggesting that you need a cannon to quickly and humanely kill big moose.

2) Game animals are occasionally lost, and a high percentage of those are lost despite reasonable and considerable preparations and efforts. In short, "crap" happens.

3) You, and you alone, are the sole decision maker on the morality of a particular shot that you take at game. Yes, there are those who will feel it there duty to point out your shortcomings and failures (this isn't limited to hunting, by the way), but only you can allow them into your head. Make a good decision, give it your best effort, accept the results, learn from whatever is the outcome and move on.

matt_3479,
Thanks for sharing this moose hunt with us. Even though it didnt end the perfect way, you had the chance to spend some quality time with your dad doing what you love (hunt). I believe this hunting experience taught you a lot of hunting tips and secrets that you will never forget. I am sure you will think about what happened a lot, and I hope next time you hunt a bigger one, and you share it with us as well.
Nobody is perfect, we all make mistakes, but you have to have courage to come out and tell the story like that, knowing you were going to be criticized. That is to be admired.
Congrats!!!
Good luck for next time.gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.