200 grain partition for 30-06

I like Patitions, 3006s and deer but never had any luck telling any of my rifles what they will like.
I've been lucky with 165 PT and 180 PT but you couldn't tell by the 100 yard group, about 1.5" group. Then one day I had targets on the 300 yard line, 1.5" group again. I then shot at 16.9oz water bottles at 450 yards and could usually hit then 8 out of 10 times. Don't ask me why, it just does.

If your rifle has a 22" barrel, 24-26" even better, I think you might be surprised with a 200 gr partition. Also if you have a fairly long throat and good magazine length (like a Rem 700) use a slow powder (H4831, R22, R23, etc) and 300 yards will be no problem!

That bullet/load would handle mice to moose ! BTW, it's be fairly stout on recoil with a 2600-2650 FPS velocity. Good luck.

Hello all like everyone probably know nosler bullets are really hard to find and I've been looking for accubond and partition and all I have been able to find are 200 grain partition and the biggest caliber rifle I have as of right now is a 30-06 and I wanted to know has any one used the 200 grain bullets for 30-06 if so what are some good loads and what are the pros and cons and how was terminal performance and what would expected velocitys be also are they going to be a waist of time for white tails at 10 to 400 yards. Thanks in advance
I use both Speer and Sierra 200 grain bullets in my 30-06's and they work very well indeed. I get about 2630fps out of the 'O3A3 and around 2575 fps out of the Ruger M77s. The velocity difference is due to barrel length, the Rugers having a 22" tube and the '03A3 having a 24 inch tube. I'm using IMR4350 and Superformance for both bullets. Handloader magazine lists a load for Superformance with the new Federal 200 grain Terminal Ascent in its August/September 2020 issue giving a velocity of 2,576fps average from a Ruger 22" barrel, so I used that as a baseline for my loads with it. It works pretty good. You should be able to work up a load that'll give you around 2550 to 2600fps with the Partition. You might look at the Speer Hotcor(bc of 485 or so) or the Sierra Gameking(bc of 550 or so), too. They'll do anything you want to do with them from an -06 and they're more available and less expensive. I have shot them out to 600 yards at steel and hit the steel consistently, wind permitting.

dont think you need a 200 partition to kill whitetail out to 400 in a 30- 06 anything 150 to 175 should work great a 200 in a 06 will be a beast if your kicks anything like mine

What seems odd to me is a 215 in a 300 Win Mag is the baddest thing around, but a 200 gr anything in an '06 is over kill. Really??

Right? A 215 from a 300 win at 1k = decks wooly mammoths flat. A 215 from a 30-06 = not enough benefit to pursue. This idea has merit if you are loading for a weaker action but in a modern action an 06 can run 60 ksi and push 200's at 2700+ In most cases. Nosler has a factory loaded 200 gr accubond at 2700

Hello all like everyone probably know nosler bullets are really hard to find and I've been looking for accubond and partition and all I have been able to find are 200 grain partition and the biggest caliber rifle I have as of right now is a 30-06 and I wanted to know has any one used the 200 grain bullets for 30-06 if so what are some good loads and what are the pros and cons and how was terminal performance and what would expected velocitys be also are they going to be a waist of time for white tails at 10 to 400 yards. Thanks in advance
Great bullet in the .06 for the heavier game at say 0-250 yards or so, I've always liked H4831 powder in it with 200gr to 220gr As for whitetail I'm thinking it works but... 400? that might be a little long for the combo of Deer and Bullet, you can do better with a slightly lighter, flatter shooting bullet for Whitetail, unless you plan on bumping into a big bear in the bush where Whitetails are mostly found'...., and you might have to punch his ticket, then sure'..., go with the 200gr or 220gr. for Whitetail hunting. They all pretty much kill Whitetail dead. Good luck.

I don't worry about making the 200 grain Gameking into a barn-burner in a 30-06. If you run the ballistics on this bullet at 8000 to 9000 feet of altitude, you find it shoots about as flat as a 180 grain bullet from a 300 WSM at sea level when launched at 2600fps to 2650fps. It is flat enough and retains enough energy and penetration to kill elk at or beyond 500 yards. The mass of the bullet means it will still penetrate bone and heavy hide at that distance. Velocity is still high enough for the Speer or the Sierra to open up and create a good wound channel. Both bullets drop about 55 inches at 500 yards and both are still over 2,000fps. I shot a couple of antelopes in 2019 with the Sierra 200gr in two different -06's using Shepherd scopes and both were over 200 yards. Exit wounds were about the size of a silver dollar. Group sizes were a little over 1.5 inches at 200 yards for 5 shots. That works for me. I was using IMR 4350 and data from older manuals, which haven't had the benefit of input from Hodgden's newer lawyers, so I get a little more than they list now for the powder and bullet combination.

I didn't see anyone say that a 200 gr or 200 plus grain bullets wouldn't kill a whitetail. Some like me have said there are bullets that are better suited for the job. Especially given the range of 400 yards or less. I've loaded the 200 gr AB in my 30-06 and while it's not excessive recoil the lighter loads are more fun to shoot in a light rifle. I felt that a 165gr or 180 gr is better suited for whitetail. Heck some people use 150 gr for WT. But a 200 gr PT will certainly kill whitetails.

I've been lucky with 165 PT and 180 PT but you couldn't tell by the 100 yard group, about 1.5" group. Then one day I had targets on the 300 yard line, 1.5" group again. I then shot at 16.9oz water bottles at 450 yards and could usually hit then 8 out of 10 times. Don't ask me why, it just does.
Believe it or not, they used to call that bullet nodding. Some bullets don't stabilize completely until they get out past 150 or 200 yards. They yaw slightly in closer, and then somewhere farther out, they quit yawing and its like they are on rails. Just because a rifle doesn't have an ultra tight group at 100 yards with a particular bullet doesn't mean it won't shoot it very well at distance. I actually verify groups at 100, 200, 300 and 500 yards when I have the time. you'll be supprised what the results can be. It also lets me fine tune bullet drop at distance, which is important when I'm hunting at altitude.

Believe it or not, they used to call that bullet nodding. Some bullets don't stabilize completely until they get out past 150 or 200 yards. They yaw slightly in closer, and then somewhere farther out, they quit yawing and its like they are on rails. Just because a rifle doesn't have an ultra tight group at 100 yards with a particular bullet doesn't mean it won't shoot it very well at distance. I actually verify groups at 100, 200, 300 and 500 yards when I have the time. you'll be supprised what the results can be. It also lets me fine tune bullet drop at distance, which is important when I'm hunting at altitude.
Yes that's what one of the guys suggested to me at Nosler. But I believe Litz said that's most likely not what is going on. There's really no way of absolutely proving it without high speed cameras so I just shoot and not worry about it lol. But anyone that's thrown a football can believe that some yaw could happen and then stabilize further down range.

I think Ken Waters wrote the samething about the long 6.5mm bullets and such also.