200 grain partition for 30-06

Yes that's what one of the guys suggested to me at Nosler. But I believe Litz said that's most likely not what is going on. There's really no way of absolutely proving it without high speed cameras so I just shoot and not worry about it lol. But anyone that's thrown a football can believe that some yaw could happen and then stabilize further down range.
Nosler has those cameras. This phenomenon was known back in the 19th century and seen in some of the larger caliber rounds such as the 40 cal rifles and above. It shows up now with some of the really long for caliber bullets in various calibers.

As of 12/28/20 @ 10:40 A.M. EST Midway USA has Barnes 165 grain TTSX 30 caliber bullets. For the application/type of hunting you have described in this post they will do all and more for the desired terminal ballistics on a whitetail deer. If I were going whitetail deer hunting this would be the bullet that I would be using; and........."It will keelllll!" You also could try contacting Hammer bullets, usually they will help you out as well. The other option for me would be to purchase factory ammunition for this particular hunt. No one likes to hear this, however with times as they are this would be a very viable option.

www.midwayusa.com/product/1010394962?pid=110882
Have to agree, that 165 TTSX might be a better option than a 200 gr anything in a 30-06 if you plan to stretch the range out. Not knockin' the 200 gr partition but it needs velocity to expand properly, and as such it does start to lose a hair of it's potential sooner than you might like. It'll penetrate anything you want to launch it at for a reasonable distance, but on lighter game you might get pass-throughs without much expansion, especially as the distance-to-target increases & velocity drops. That 200 is really at its best in the bigger cases, say 300 Winmag and up...200 FPS doesn't sound like all that much but it sure can make a difference on a less-than-perfect shot when the wind is a factor, too.

I have a buddy who has used the 165 TTSX to take western game with his 30-06...one of those one-rifle kind of guys, but he doesn't miss with it either. Per his reports that combo has done him justice out 400+ on deer and cow elk. I've only witnessed him take deer with it, but he claims it to be a good all-arounder for anything from antelope to elk.

Of course every rifle is a bit different, but you oughtta be able to get some reasonable speed and accuracy if you power that TTSX with somewhere in the range of 57-60 grains of Ramshot Hunter. That powder and charge weight has done pretty well for me in the '06 with several different 165-168 gr pills, including several of the high-BC types.

Hello all like everyone probably know nosler bullets are really hard to find and I've been looking for accubond and partition and all I have been able to find are 200 grain partition and the biggest caliber rifle I have as of right now is a 30-06 and I wanted to know has any one used the 200 grain bullets for 30-06 if so what are some good loads and what are the pros and cons and how was terminal performance and what would expected velocitys be also are they going to be a waist of time for white tails at 10 to 400 yards. Thanks in advance
I've shot the 180 partition for 30 years works great in the 30-06, killed dozen deer and over 30 elk

The 200gr partition differs a fair bit from the 165gr and 180gr. I have shot all 3 a fair bit. The 200 out penetrates the others by a significant margin, as there is a lot more mass behind the partition. I have sectioned all 3 but don't have the photos handy.

Loaded to ~3.5" OACL 56gr IMR4831 gave just over 2600fps in my 22" barrel.

I feel that bullet is a bit heavily constructed for deer, but I shoot for the lungs. Keep shots forward and you'll be fine, but due to low target resistance I found wound channels were small and deer traveled a ways when I poked them through the ribs.

Might be a good opportunity to change it up. I had some great experiences with Hammer bullets this fall, and even though I have a couple of shelves full of partitions I'm going to have a hard time going back.

I would be happy to send some 165gr or 180gr'ers your way of I knew they would make it past the border (I'm in Canada)

Have to agree, that 165 TTSX might be a better option than a 200 gr anything in a 30-06 if you plan to stretch the range out. Not knockin' the 200 gr partition but it needs velocity to expand properly, and as such it does start to lose a hair of it's potential sooner than you might like. It'll penetrate anything you want to launch it at for a reasonable distance, but on lighter game you might get pass-throughs without much expansion, especially as the distance-to-target increases & velocity drops. That 200 is really at its best in the bigger cases, say 300 Winmag and up...200 FPS doesn't sound like all that much but it sure can make a difference on a less-than-perfect shot when the wind is a factor, too.

I have a buddy who has used the 165 TTSX to take western game with his 30-06...one of those one-rifle kind of guys, but he doesn't miss with it either. Per his reports that combo has done him justice out 400+ on deer and cow elk. I've only witnessed him take deer with it, but he claims it to be a good all-arounder for anything from antelope to elk.

Of course every rifle is a bit different, but you oughtta be able to get some reasonable speed and accuracy if you power that TTSX with somewhere in the range of 57-60 grains of Ramshot Hunter. That powder and charge weight has done pretty well for me in the '06 with several different 165-168 gr pills, including several of the high-BC types.

165 TTSX at 3k vs a 200 gr SGK at a leisurely 2685 ft/sec which I'm hitting from a 22 inch barrel. I'd rather shoot the 200 just looking at the numbers at 500. Less wind drift and a substantial advantage in retained energy. ~2 MOA more drop isn't really a big deal to me if I'm already dialing

Attachments

• 28820CC3-B16C-4FE5-81BE-53909F3646EB.jpeg
    28820CC3-B16C-4FE5-81BE-53909F3646EB.jpeg
    160.6 KB · Views: 114
  • F0A34E7E-803A-4E21-9979-5E812D72D1AD.jpeg
    F0A34E7E-803A-4E21-9979-5E812D72D1AD.jpeg
    167.3 KB · Views: 92
The op is asking about killing deer out to 400 not trying to kill elk at 5 or 6 hundred any hunting bullet from 130 to 165 will do this I would look at the 151 or 162 absolute hammer the velocity you would get and correct zero you could just hold hair to 400 no problem

30-06 Springfield 200 Grain Load Data

I used the round nose 220 grain (30/06) in my youth and good accuracy, never used the load on game, but it would have been capable. I didn't have a crono back in the mid 70s but I'm thinking it should have been in the neighborhood of 2300-2400 FPS, based on loading manual information at the time.
The 200 partition certainly wouldn't be a long range but with in the reasonable range constraints it should work quite nicely.

If all you can find right now is the 200 grain Nosler Partition, it will work. Try RL22 or RL 19 and work up a load. It should work.
Well went on there to order some and cant find them now and every powder that anyone has said to try is out of stock everywhere so I guess that idea is busted

Well went on there to order some and cant find them now and every powder that anyone has said to try is out of stock everywhere so I guess that idea is busted
Yeah, that's pretty much everywhere right now. I can't find Speer bullets anywhere right now, Nosler and Sierra are also scarce on the ground. Fortunately I've been buying extra a little every few months for about 7 years, and have a small stockpile of various bullets and powder. I also have a mom and pop shop that is stocked with most of my powders. Primers are a little scarce on the ground, too. I don't have too many small rifle primers, but I have enough.

Yeah, that's pretty much everywhere right now. I can't find Speer bullets anywhere right now, Nosler and Sierra are also scarce on the ground. Fortunately I've been buying extra a little every few months for about 7 years, and have a small stockpile of various bullets and powder. I also have a mom and pop shop that is stocked with most of my powders. Primers are a little scarce on the ground, too. I don't have too many small rifle primers, but I have enough.
Yea that's how it seems.i was lucky and my local sporting goods had varget awhile back and I bought all they had and then found another place near me that had primers so Ive got stuff to reload for my two 308s but only 3 pounds of powder for my 30-06 and its ramshot big game and I cant find much info on it just that it's made just for 30-06 was hoping to find more info for it on here but havnt.untill I get my 30-06 rebarrel it will be just a hunting rifle and the 3 pounds of powder and the one load I have for it should last me a good while

Yea that's how it seems.i was lucky and my local sporting goods had varget awhile back and I bought all they had and then found another place near me that had primers so Ive got stuff to reload for my two 308s but only 3 pounds of powder for my 30-06 and its ramshot big game and I cant find much info on it just that it's made just for 30-06 was hoping to find more info for it on here but havnt.untill I get my 30-06 rebarrel it will be just a hunting rifle and the 3 pounds of powder and the one load I have for it should last me a good while
//www.ramshot.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/WesternPowdersHandloadingGuide8.0_WEB.pdf has the load data for Ramshot big game powder with various loads in 30-06. I found it on the internet and it is a completely on-line manual. You can print it out in pdf form.

//www.ramshot.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/WesternPowdersHandloadingGuide8.0_WEB.pdf has the load data for Ramshot big game powder with various loads in 30-06. I found it on the internet and it is a completely on-line manual. You can print it out in pdf form.
Thanks I tryed to download on my phone but that was a no go my phone is mess up

As of 12/28/20 @ 10:40 A.M. EST Midway USA has Barnes 165 grain TTSX 30 caliber bullets. For the application/type of hunting you have described in this post they will do all and more for the desired terminal ballistics on a whitetail deer. If I were going whitetail deer hunting this would be the bullet that I would be using; and........."It will keelllll!" You also could try contacting Hammer bullets, usually they will help you out as well. The other option for me would be to purchase factory ammunition for this particular hunt. No one likes to hear this, however with times as they are this would be a very viable option.

www.midwayusa.com/product/1010394962?pid=110882
It will keelll! I love it Doug Markita rules