200 grain ELD-X in 308 anyone?

ShootnMathews

I have some of these bullets and was going to give them a try in a Savage FCP-SR. Has anyone here tried these bullets in a 308 with any good success? If so what loadbseems to be working well. I'm trying Varget to start with. I have only fired a few test groups but it's already down to .6 moa groups. I'd like to be able to get it down to .3 or so. This is not a competition gun. Just something to shoot for fun as far as I can stretch it and hunt with to sub 750 yards.

I'm not loading the 200 but I do load the 208 in my .308. I tried several powders but re-17 gave me the best velocity and by far the best accuracy. Every charge weight during load development was very consistent and all were sub moa.

I load them in a pre-13 sako trg 22 with 48grains adi 2209 (h4350 eqiv) as always load with caution.
2470fps and well under moa accuracy

That's great. How is re17 for temp stability? And did you try varget in your mix when loading?

I didn't try Varget when I was doing load development. I haven't tried Re-17 over a chronny in different temps (my chronny has been acting up). I can say my loads with Re-17 have been consistent whenever I have shot it, from 20 degrees to mid 80's.

Id like to know If my CZ 550 with a 1-12 barrel can stabilize these bullets as Id like to try them out as well. It has a 25" barrel so I think the 200gr ELD would be ok?

Due to troubles with my long action, I ended up doing a lot of killing with my .308 18" bolt gun. I worked up a load with something like 42.5 varget and a cci 200 with the 200 eldx to get a little more killing power out of it. Between myself and a couple buddies we knocked the hell out of multiple cow elk and whitetails. Even out to 650 yards, those 200's were doing some damage. Muzzle velocity was 2440 out of my rifle. This bullet really improved the killing potential of a short barreled .308.

Due to troubles with my long action, I ended up doing a lot of killing with my .308 18" bolt gun. I worked up a load with something like 42.5 varget and a cci 200 with the 200 eldx to get a little more killing power out of it. Between myself and a couple buddies we knocked the hell out of multiple cow elk and whitetails. Even out to 650 yards, those 200's were doing some damage. Muzzle velocity was 2440 out of my rifle. This bullet really improved the killing potential of a short barreled .308.

That's awesome info. Thanks a ton!

Well, we will be getting some 200 gr 30 cal ELD-X in a few months and we'd like to try them in my Remington 700R5 using IMR - 4064 which is what I use for my Sierra 168 gr hpbtmk and my Hornady 178 gr ELD-X. Has anyone worked up an accurate 308 load using the 200 ELD-X and can give all the specifics and show actually documented group sizes.

I've Done 47 grains of 09, can't remember velocity didn't shoot well, feels like you just fill the case level and squash them in almost.
A few years on and this is still my go to load for it.
Had a batch of quicker powder I dropped 0.5 grains for a while though back up now

I load them in a pre-13 sako trg 22 with 48grains adi 2209 (h4350 eqiv) as always load with caution.
2470fps and well under moa accuracy
What is the barrel length of that TRG 22? May I assume you are still loading with the same components, or has your recipe evolved?
Cheers!

26''
Still the same. Dropped 0.5 to 47.5 grains just to even out the powder lot differences.
It does 2360 in a 19inch barrel of a mates rifle.

Recent Posts