178 grain eld-x and 308 win

okie man

Has anyone tried the 178 grain eld-x in their 308 ? I bought some hornady 168 bthp to form brass and break my barrel in bit was wanting something with a higher bc for a final load

I have only about 200 rounds down the tube with the 178 ELD-X in a light 1-10" twist Bergara rifle in .308. Mainly fire forming and load work up. Have only taken it out to 700 yds but so far so good. I'm using 8208XBR and lighting them with 210M primers.
Need to get rid of about 4' of snow and minus temps and I'll get back at it. But bottom line is, so far so good.

I have used Bergers exclusively - took a lot of game with them until I had one that I could prove didn't open up. One of my sons switched his 6.5x284 over to the ELD-X about this time last year. After a lot of testing this past summer and seeing the results of 4 animals taken this past hunting seasons I'm cautiously very optimistic.

Besides the fact that they seem readily available at a considerable price advantage I don't see what not to like about them.

I will be using the 178 gr ELD-X this coming hunting season.

I have actually worked up a load in my hunting rifle this season. They produced a .485 group at 200 yards with Varget powder, seated 0.013 off the lands. I cant remember the exact charge but I do have it written down in my reloading binder. I will put the actual charge that i used on here hen I get to the house later. I was very pleased with the precision of the groups but I wasn't too happy with the speeds I was getting. I was getting 2425 to 2440 fps. I do understand that the short barrel I have could be a big issue when it comes to get more speed to. I am shooting a rifle that my cousin put together, it has an 18" Criteron barrel with a Teludyne straight jacket and Teludyne muzzle break. I dont figure I will be getting great speed with that length of barrel but I am going to try as long as the accuracy doesnt drop. I was hoping I could work up a faster load. I plan to try different powders as soon as our season is over.

Tried the 178 ELDX in my GAP 10 .308 20" bbl 1:11.25 twist, suppressed (Ultra7) using Varget. Best load I ended up with was 42.4 gr giving me 2510 fps, SD of 6 fps and 1/2" MOA at 200 yds. Used Lapua brass, 210M primers with a COAL 2.790 to meet mag requirements. With the suppressor, the load is a bit hot and leaves slight marks on the case head.

I run them in my 18" AR10. 1:10 twist. I worked up loads of varget and IMR4064 and was able to replicate the Hornady factory loaded ammo performance with both powders. Varget seems to give slightly less pressures with a minimal edge on velocity. These are my go to pig hunting rounds because that rifle has the thermal on it.