200 gr Match Kings,...Good for Elk at long ranges?????

Thanks for the info guys. You helped put my mind at ease. I will try them on some deer around home this coming year and see how they do since I wont be traveling because I'm gonna be a DADDY!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Dakor- I just worry about hitting my elk square through the shoulders and losing him. Sometimes I only get 1 chance at elk and I want that SOB going down!! I dont want him hanging a leg running off into the deepest, darkest, hole he can find. Have you ever tried doing any weight retentino tests with Bergers out of curiousity??? I"ll try to find a couple of the 210's I shot into paper at 100-200 yards. They didn't look pretty and weight retnetion was no more then 30%. I cant see where that would be any good for hitting elk shoulders. JMO based on what I've seen with my own expansion and weight retention tests. I know newspaper aint elk, but it does give an idea of what to expect from your bullet. This coming year I think I"ll give them a shot in my 7 RM. I"ll use the 168g and hope to get a shot anyways.

I guess I do not worry about weight retention. You could always bust the offside shoulder instead. You are asking my opinion so I will give it you give me a bull elk at 25 yards I would not think twice about shooting him in the shoulder with the SMK or Berger. High shoulder shot it is lights out. I have done tests with wood, steel, and paper and found retention about 50% or less but I do not care what the bullet weighs as long as it make it into the vitals. But I never have liked hard bullets either. If you want to waste a few dollars go to the butcher store and ask for the biggest pork shoulder they have with the bone in it. Set it up at 50 yards with a water jug behind it and see what happens. If it makes it through all that fat and bone you have a winner. The last pork shoulder I got the bone was about 7/8" thick now that is some bone. Here is a link to a bullet I found in a doe under the hide you can read the details this is the only Berger I found in anything I shot this year.
http://precisionlongrangehunter.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8321005821/m/8361084102

hillajam, not sure how this relates........

I have shot two bull elk with a 140g nosler(old style) ballistic tips out of a 7 Mag at 200-150 yards with dead right there effect. I would expect that your bullet would smash them right there and if you were comfortable with the 180g Spt BT, I know for a fact that it would stop their running lights.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.