20 cal Striker/XP-100

sscoyote

Thinking of putting a SS pistol together for spot and stalk coyote fur hunting. The 50 gr. Berger 20 cal. is about as big as i wanna go, BUT i wanna push it as fast as i can to maximize the range at which this bullet will perform out of a 17" barrel. I was thinking of the 225 Win. case, maybe an improved BR (Dasher), or possibly the 224 Weatherby. The Weatherby is slightly smaller in capacity than the 225 i believe, but is the brass good?, and do i need to headspace off the belt on that case? Any comments here???

I have a XP in 22 BR and like it a lot I shoot the 50g vmax bullet and have shot it to 700 yards with good results. I would think the BR or IMP version case would do a excellent job for what you want to do.
Crow Mag

SS,

Unless you have access to a large supply of fresh 225 brass I would recommend staying away from that case. It seems to be drying up, just give old J.D. Jones a call as ask him about 225 brass for his wildcat rounds.

I would have to say that the BR hulls would be about the best powder volume for the .204" calibers in a 17" barrel. Anything much larger and you'll just be dealing with increased muzzle flash and blast.

As said before, the Improved version of this case would also be a consideration since your going wildcat anyway, why not improve it.

Even with fireforming cases, this case volume will not shorten throat life a great deal if done so properly.

I personally feel the 50 gr .204" bullets are the best of the bunch, this caliber actually makes alot of sense to me with these bullets.

I will say that putting any sub bore in a 17" barrel will limit velocity potential but who am I to talk, I love my new 6.5 WSM XP-100 with its 15" barrel.

Developed one load to get me through this season with the 120 gr Ballistic Tip loaded to 3150 fps. I will only be using it on deer so this bullet will perform very well.

I have shot +30 groups with it to date and the largest at 100 yards was .881" and it has shot over a dozen groups that were in the 3's ctc.

I am very happy with this round so far.

After the big game rifle rush has passed over the shop I will start playing with this handgun at extreme range as it has a 1-8" Lilja barrel on it for the VLD and ULD rounds.

Good Luck with your XP project, let us know how she runs!!

I do not know it I said this before so congrats on your goat, fine job!!!
grin.gif

Good Shooting!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

50--does your ULD guy make 6.5's????

Steve--if this is a bolt gun stay away from the 225--the only benefit to that case is the rim in a TC--i think there might be a 20BR around. maybe 20 VarTag or some such beast.

Fifty--i agree the 6br seems like the ideal MAX forthe 20 bore...hmmmmmmmmm...no too many projects lined up already
grin.gif
grin.gif

JB

Thks. for the info guys-- 50 when i'm ready i'll be contacting u to do it hopefully. It'll probably be an Imp BR. Good info here.

Hey by the way-- u were right about the 140 A-Max opening too fast-- i hit the left shoulder, and the bullet destroyed it, made it thru the off shoulder destroying it too, and a small part of the core found under the far side hide, no exit.

Jb1000BR,

Wildcat Bullets offers a 142 gr Rebated Boattail bullet using the fine J-4 jackets. He offers them with an 8 ogive or his ULD ogive which I believe is in the 14 or 15 range.

He send me some samples of his 142 gr ULD RBT and I tested them in my 6.5-06 AI. Out of its 26" barrel I drove them to a very conservative 3100 fps with groups in the 3's at 100 yards.

Only had 12 bullets to test but they shot very well at 100 yards from my rifle. I should also state that this rifle will shoot the 140 and 142 gr Sierra matchings and the 140 gr A-Max into .4" to .6" group at 100 yards average.

Seems the 142 gr Wildcat ULD shoots noticably better even at 100 yards, at 500 this could be quite noticable.

After the rifle building rush for big game season, I will be ordering a full box of the 142 gr ULD's to test at longer ranges.

They run $36.00 per 100ct +shipping but this is in Canadian funds so with American dollars it is quite a bit less.

You can e-mail Richard at [email protected].

Great guy to talk to and from my experience, he will build you **** near anything you want if he has the tooling to do so.

Hell if you want a 180 gr ULD in 6.5mm he will probably find a way to make it. You'll just have to get the barrel to spin it!!

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

SS,

Sounds like it got the job done, I feel the 140 gr A-Max is a fine bullet for game up to even 400 pounds but I will admit that I would stear clear of any onside shoulder bone hits.

I generally aim to take out the off shoulder if possible. If the shot offered is a perfect broadside shot, then I will hold back of the shoulder quite a bit to keep the bullet off the shoulder.

In the case of your goat, I would much perfer to hammer both shoulders as you did and drop the animal before it took its last leap over a cliff!!

Would be happy to put your XP together. I am building one right now for a customer. It is in 223 Rem with an H-S precision varminter stock and a 15" Lilja with a .750" muzzle diameter.

It will be a sweet shooting handgun for the P. Dogs this spring. I will get some pics and get them to you along with some of my 6.5mm WSM if you get me your e-mail.

Good Shooting!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.