284 XP-100 Bullet

Gray R

Well you guys have convinced me! I'm emailing Hammer about which bullet they would recommend, and I'm gonna go with whatever he says. Thanks for the help!

BEEMAN

Well you guys have convinced me! I'm emailing Hammer about which bullet they would recommend, and I'm gonna go with whatever he says. Thanks for the help!
I think you’ll like them. Just got off the phone with Steve 10 min ago. Got 300 absolutes in 6.5 and 7mm ordered. Post your results when you get a load. I’m very interested in what your short barrel 284 will do. Steve recommended varget for my 284 Win and a 140 AH.

Flintlock

Gray R, Bears are not hard to kill. I would go with the 140-150 grain bullets if you can get them. The barrel with the twist you got will shoot the heavier bullets and with you only shooting possibly 300 yards or so you shouldn't have to contend with much wind.
My 284's in my XP's shoot the Berger 140's ELD Hunters and Nosler Accubonds into nearly one hole at 100 and 1-1.5" at 200 yards. I have taken several large deer here in Oklahoma in the 140lb. range and took a deer in KS at 150 lb. All dropped after hopping a couple of times, through the lungs.
If you are needing any 140-150 grn bullets for your hunt and can't find them, let me know. I purchased a lot of them a few years ago when Apache Machine built my XP's. The target is the last one I shot last fall at 100 yards, Berger VLD Hunter, 140grn, shooting H4831SC, Fed 210 primer- barrel is 1-9 twist, 16".
Mike

Gray R

Man I really appreciate it Flintlock! Ill absolutely take you up on that if I need to. When I was dropping my parts off with the smith he had a box of 162s he gave me to try so im gonna see how they do and ill go from there. Thanks again everyone!!

NCWshooter

Gray R, Bears are not hard to kill. I would go with the 140-150 grain bullets if you can get them. The barrel with the twist you got will shoot the heavier bullets and with you only shooting possibly 300 yards or so you shouldn't have to contend with much wind.
My 284's in my XP's shoot the Berger 140's ELD Hunters and Nosler Accubonds into nearly one hole at 100 and 1-1.5" at 200 yards. I have taken several large deer here in Oklahoma in the 140lb. range and took a deer in KS at 150 lb. All dropped after hopping a couple of times, through the lungs.
If you are needing any 140-150 grn bullets for your hunt and can't find them, let me know. I purchased a lot of them a few years ago when Apache Machine built my XP's. The target is the last one I shot last fall at 100 yards, Berger VLD Hunter, 140grn, shooting H4831SC, Fed 210 primer- barrel is 1-9 twist, 16".
Mike

I was wondering where you got the stock for you XP and what Apache Machine did in the build and for about how much money?

Primary

LRH Assistant
Here are some related products that LRH members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to LRH’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to LRH discussions about these products.