2 rifle plan (Pigs Australia)

Stix

So after a bit of a break from shooting for work/family reasons I'm back in the game. I primarily shoot pigs up to and over 100Kg (200Lb) in central Queensland Australia. After getting back in to hunting for the past few months I seem to be spotting most pigs either trotting away at 250metres or unaware at 350-600 metres.

I've been doing all my shooting with a model 70 .243 (and old .303 for close work)and although I'm scoring hits on moving pigs at 400 metres, anything other than a head shot is just a wounded pig.

I want 2 rifles, 1 for shooting large mobs of pigs, quite often on trot at up to 500 metres. I also want something else for longer shots, 800 metres is not uncommon.

Important part of rifle 1 is it needs to be able to handle multiple shots in close succession, say 10 shots in 1 minute without burning the throat out. It can't have a muzzle break and need to have good knock down power out to 500 metres (Penetrate shoulder plate, penetrate hardened mud and break major bones etc). I am budget conscious but not totally limited.

was thinking along the lines of a Tikka Hunter is .30-06 with a 4-12 on it?

2nd rifle will be more of a long range gun and I'm hoping to do a mountain hunt for tahr in New Zealand next year where ranges are long. It still needs to be able to drop pigs at 800 metres and be reasonably light for mountain hunting, I'm expecting to use a muzzlebreak on this one. I was thinking something along the lines of a .300 win mag? .338's can be hard to get in Aus. Not sure on make and model, not a big fan of the Rem 700's, just don't feel nice in my hands (Tall and thin) wouldn't mind a CZ or something like that. What is the energy of the 7mm Rem mag like out at 600m plus?

7mm Mag is hell on pigs. I've killed piles of them with the 7rem Mag and 7mm STW.

Find a Winchester Laredo in 7 Rem or 300wm and it'll do all you want.

For a shorter range rapid fire rifle a heavy AR platform rifle in .260 Rem would be ideal and if you get one made right you can stretch it considerably further than your planned 500m.

I can't say anything at all bad about cz's. They are without a doubt the best shooting rifles right out of the box I've ever shot.

Their "ultimate hunting rifle" in 300wm is a stright from the factory MOA or better rifle with quality ammo.

[FONT=&quot]Haven't you thought about a rifle with interchangeable barrels? I suppose that would be much easier and comfortable for you. Always the same trigger - trigonometry and stock measures ... In AUS you seem to have a capable importer for Steyr Mannlicher from Austria, and this company produces a very good rifle where you can change calibres very fast and it's rock-solid. It's the Steyr Mannlicher "Luxus" model. There you choose the combo you like as 3006/300WM or 7RemMag and are done for good. BTW, the costs aren't close to those for a Blaser model ... Anyway, good luck! :)[/FONT]

An AR platform would be great but unfortunately we are not aloud semi automatic weapons in Australia.

I don't know much about the .260, what weight projectiles does it shoot? If it's got enough energy at 500 metres for body shots on big pigs and it won't burn barrels with a lot of successive shots I'm interested!

Steyr do make some magnificent rifles, a Steyr scout I held many years back is still 1 of the nicest rifles I've ever held. Simply slowly lowering the barrel down on a 45 degree angle was enough to close and lock the bolt (without chambering a round obviously) **** it was nice. I'm a bit of a traditionalist, I will use synthetic stocks but I can't see myself buying a rifle with interchangeable barrels, thanks for the suggestion anyway Varberger757!

An AR platform would be great but unfortunately we are not aloud semi automatic weapons in Australia.

I don't know much about the .260, what weight projectiles does it shoot? If it's got enough energy at 500 metres for body shots on big pigs and it won't burn barrels with a lot of successive shots I'm interested!

Steyr do make some magnificent rifles, a Steyr scout I held many years back is still 1 of the nicest rifles I've ever held. Simply slowly lowering the barrel down on a 45 degree angle was enough to close and lock the bolt (without chambering a round obviously) **** it was nice. I'm a bit of a traditionalist, I will use synthetic stocks but I can't see myself buying a rifle with interchangeable barrels, thanks for the suggestion anyway Varberger757!
I've shot a lot of big porkers here, mostly with 7mm Mag and 7mm STW.

That being said, if you'll pick your shots so as to not be shooting through the shield on bib boars the 260 would definitely get the job done. You can shoot 140-160grn in a good hunting bullet like the interlock, interbond, or accubond and kill them pretty dead.

I would think a .260 for close work paired with a 300wm for long shots and bigger game and you'd be in great shape for the future. I would not hesitate with the 260 to 500m on hogs or on the Tahr and much greater range. Put it in the boiler room and get ready to eat.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.