2 position or 3 position safety

what is your preferred type of safety?

• Total voters

RockyMtnMT

Official LRH Sponsor
A member contacted me and asked if I would start a poll on this. Thia question comes from another thread talking about a perceived problem with the Ruger American safety allowing the bolt to open while a round is chambered causing unwanted bolt opening while being carried.

So what are your thoughts on safetys and their function?

Steve

Although all my fire have safetys. Probably more 2 position than 3. But I just don't trust them so I just don't use them. Only chamber a round when I'm going to use it. Just me and I'm probably wrong. But nothing new there.

I like the 3 position, when used properly on the full safe position the bolt is locked and won't open. The position where only the firing pin is locked is nice when unloading the rifle.

I only have 2 rifles with 3-position safeties, and they're old Ruger M77 MKII rifles from the mid-90's. The rest are 2-position Rem 700's and a Browning A-Bolt II.

I've had the bolt get caught on a limb or brush and pop open before while walking into the woods, but it was only once or twice ever, and was never a consistent issue. Normally, when walking to the stand, I de-cock my rifle, with a round in the chamber, that way if I need it, all I have to do is just pop up the handle and then right back down and the rifle is cocked, and there's already a round in the chamber.

To me it doesn't really matter. As long as the gun won't go bang when the safety is on. I only pack the gun with one in the tube when I'm holding it in ready position cause I think some action is about to happen. Then lots of times I'll chamber one and leave the bolt open. Usually I use the safety when I was about to fire then don't and put the safety on until I eject. I was taught to not rely on the safety but an empty gun to be 'safe'

.....As long as the gun won't go bang when the safety is on......

If it a rifle goes off when the safety is taken off is the issue. I've seen it, and known others experiencing it. While muzzle control saved lives it's spoils the whole day.

Gentry, and others make a good after market 3 position, and has been worth it to me.

I like being able to lock the bolt from opening especially when hiking through thick brush. But I never see animals when I'm hiking through thick stuff making noise, so there's no point in having a round chambered.

Like dmj, I only chamber a round when I'm about to use it. Otherwise I leave the chamber empty and close the bolt with the trigger pulled so the spring force of the firing pin holds the bolt closed.

So now all of my rifles have 2-position safeties.

3 for me. Don't even own one though. I learned how to carry a gun in a way as to avoid snags on cloths and equipment causing the opening a bolt. Lost a few rounds that way. I carry a round in the chamber anytime I think I might see a target.

If it a rifle goes off when the safety is taken off is the issue. I've seen it, and known others experiencing it. While muzzle control saved lives it's spoils the whole day.

Gentry, and others make a good after market 3 position, and has been worth it to me.

I've had it happen too. Sand or grit got in the sear engagement and when I tried to engage the safety...boom. Scared the hell out of me! But that's more of a trigger/poor maintenance on my part than whether it was 2 or 3 position safety

Granted maintenance is an issue, gunk from solvents probably the biggest, especially going from warm to cold environments.

It will happen in well maintained firearms also-and one never knows what will happen to a pristine rifle between setting out in the morning, and coming back at night.

Even the better Hunter Safety courses, don't cover maintenance very well.

I like being able to lock the bolt from opening especially when hiking through thick brush. But I never see animals when I'm hiking through thick stuff making noise, so there's no point in having a round chambered.

When hunting alone, I'll carry a round in the chamber while hunting, because I'm not the only one hunting. Sometimes the bears hunt too.

I prefer the three position safeties for this reason.

If I'm hunting with a companion, it's rare for me to carry a round in the chamber. And when I do, there's usually a cause for it and my partner has a round chambered also. Like when we stumble upon bear scat warmer than ground/air temperature. Exciting times!

Granted maintenance is an issue, gunk from solvents probably the biggest, especially going from warm to cold environments.

It will happen in well maintained firearms also-and one never knows what will happen to a pristine rifle between setting out in the morning, and coming back at night.

Even the better Hunter Safety courses, don't cover maintenance very well.

Yep, I was pretty sure I got some solvent gunk or oil on the trigger sear then grit stuck to it. Brake cleaner took care of the issue. Wasn't lack of trying to maintain just a poor job of doing it

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.