2.5-10X or 6-24X

G

Looking at replacing the scope on my 270 win. I want to go to a mil-dot reticle and found a few that fit my price range. My shots will go to 800 yards. What kind of magnifaction do you guys like and why. The 2 scopes at the top of my list are the same except one is a 2.5-10 and the other is a 6-24. Which one should I get?

Mysticplayer

I like more mag so would suggest the 6X24. I hunt LR with a 6X24 Elite 4000scope. Worked well for me this season.

Jerry

G

I get the odd short range shot. Will I be unhappy with only being able to go down to 6X? Is it easyer to range with the mil-dot at higher mag (24 vs 10)?

[ 11-24-2003: Message edited by: Harv ]

winmagman

Harv
I've got a 6.5x20 and have shot deer inside 50 yards, the only time I have any problems finding them is when they are flat out hauling butt. I'd have to agree with Jerry it's nice to have the extra magnification when you want it.
Chris

sniper2

I like the leupold 8.5x25 for the long range
game.You roll it up and it hits what you are aiming on, you roll it back down and it still hits what you are aiming on.This scope is great for long range, might be a little difficult at close range.

ewallace

If you are going to use this rifle just for long shots I would go with the 6x24 but if you are going to shoot short range and long range from 10 to 800 yards go with the 2.5x10X.
Crow Mag

G

Thanks. Is ranging with the mil-dot at a higher power better than lower power (24 vs 10)?

LeMay

Harv. On Milling it depents on what scope you have. Some of the scopes with mill dots only work at the max power setting for milling. Some of the newer ones work from 3.5 to 10 power.

LeMay OUT

G

Thanks for all the replies. I think I am leaning towards the 2.5-10. I have some time so will research some more before I decide.

RBrowning

Harv,
I put a Bushnell Elite 4200 2.5-10 on my 257 Weatherby. I wish I had got something with the target turrets, but I am happy otherwise. Not a real long range set-up but I did get to the clay pigeons at 710 yards and the 6" x 8" steel plates at 920. The pigeons were a little small and I would of liked some more zoom for them, but they are a lot smaller than a deer. I went with the 2.5-10 because this is an all around gun and light gathering ability in the woods in early morning was important to me. For open country, afternoon hunting I would have went for more magnification.

Trending threads

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce