1st Time Reloader: Long Range Hunting Load -- 200gr Nosler Accubond, Help?

Brydawg512

Hello all,

I have been talking with a few folks on another one of my threads about bullet choices for my X-Bolt in 300WM, 1:8 twist. I hunt black bear, mulies and elk, and would like good bullet performance on game from 0-600 yards, maybe further on steel for fun.

What are the thoughts on 200gr Nosler Accubonds for the 0-600 yard range on game? Any other bullet recommendations or loads?

I was recommended the 215 Berger Hybrid, however, I am not a designated long-range hunter and have ample opportunity for shots at 50 yards on out to 600-700 yards and don't feel comfortable using a target bullet on game.

Thank you all in advance!

I have been using 160 grain Accubonds in my 7 mag for several years and I have no plans of changing. I have had excellent 'on game' performance from 50-400+ yards. At least in my rifle, they were pretty easy to develop a sub .5 moa load for.

I have been using 160 grain Accubonds in my 7 mag for several years and I have no plans of changing. I have had excellent 'on game' performance from 50-400+ yards. At least in my rifle, they were pretty easy to develop a sub .5 moa load for.

I know the Nosler bullets have a good reputation for having stellar on-game performance. How far have you shot with the round? What is overall accuracy like?

I'm working on a load for the 200 ab in my 30 nosler. My dad has shot the 160 ab in his 7stw for years and has had great results.

I tried the 215 berger in mine and accuracy was stellar as always with the bergers. I'm just tired of never getting a pass through. I know many say they do but I haven't. Here's a 215 from my 30 nos recovered from a shoulder shot WT at 265 yards. It was a mild load running 2850 at the muzzle. No pass through, core seperation and it only weighed 77 grains.
20191110_102735.jpg

I'm working on a load for the 200 ab in my 30 nosler. My dad has shot the 160 ab in his 7stw for years and has had great results.

I tried the 215 berger in mine and accuracy was stellar as always with the bergers. I'm just tired of never getting a pass through. I know many say they do but I haven't. Here's a 215 from my 30 nos recovered from a shoulder shot WT at 265 yards. It was a mild load running 2850 at the muzzle. No pass through, core seperation and it only weighed 77 grains.View attachment 163931

Well, performance doesn't look bad from the Hybrid. The fact the Hybrid has a fairly notable tendency of not passing through is enough for me to question the capabilities of it as my go-to bullet. The accubond seems like a decent bullet, albeit not necessarily designed for extreme range.

I'm just trying to find a bullet that meets a happy-medium -- devastating on game out to 600 yards, capable on steel to around 1000

I use H1000 and 215 m primers. Load shoots lights out in my gun.

My load is 79.5 grains. That's pretty hot so you might want to start out at 74 and work up from there

My son's 300 win shoots the Hornady 208 eld. With 77.8 of H1000 215 m primers. He took his elk at 886 this year with that combo.

Been using 200gr AB for many years in several 300WM rifles. Stella performance in every instance.

Now...after having used 210, 215 & 230gr Bergers, I have switched to the 210gr Nosler ABLR.
The advertised BC is very close and the performance on game is also very good.
I have more recovered bullets from 2 6.5's than the 30 mags, but either way, they work very well without loosing too much weight.

You might wanna consider them.

Cheers.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.