190 Berger LRHT for hunt

xHonza

Dear all, due to current problems in supply of bullets I normally use I contemplate about use of 190 Berger LRHT for hunting purposes in my 7mm RM (shoting distances 0 - 600 yards). But before I will do so, I would like to ask local audience if there is somebody who tried this or other pointed Berger bullets for hunting. The last thing I want to do is to do unncessary experiments on game :)

I want to hear more too... especially on the 30 cal 208 and 220. I have found a few kills reported with the 220 and it worked very well each time. The thought is that the Berger tips cave IN and break off before expansion, so the pointy tips don't negatively effect expansion.
Anyway, I'd like to hear more about the 208 because I see them all available bit not a single 215 anywhere! At all...I mean seriously gone. 230 hybrid too!

My go to load in my Remington 700 XCR LRT 300 WM is the Berger 190 gr. VLD- H. It's a great short or long range bullet. I use 72 grains of Reloder 22 powder and get 3000 fps out of my 26 inch barrel. It consistently groups 1/2" at 100 yards. I'm using the Lapua brass and Federal 210M primers. I can push it to 3150 fps with 73 gr. but I backed off to save the barrel wear. I've killed deer and antelope from 500-650 yards with one shot kills and good expansion. I've killed elk at 300-400 yards with the same results.
You won't be disappointed with the results

There's a guy on Rokslide whose killed a lot of game including elk with the 220 lrht from a 30 nosler going over 3k mv. He's had excellent results. @rfurman24 killed some stuff last year with the 190, he can shed some light.

Waiting for the "shouldn't use a target bullet" crowd.
Bored Daily Show GIF by CTV Comedy Channel

The 190 vld hunting (orange box) performed as it should for me on antelope and mule deer at 900 to 1100 yards with a mv of 3500. But that was 10 years ago.

I had good results with the .257 135r LRHT from my 25 creedmoor. 2 mule deer and 3 antelope from 200-690 yards. No exits except from the mule deer at 690 it excited with good sized exit wounds, and also an antelope at 350 hit through the ribs but it was a bang flop with baseball sized exit. They seem to open up just fine for me, if very happy with them.

You could always water or gel test at high & low velocities….heck maybe YouTube has done it for you!

Recent Posts