1873 winchester

1tonpower

DSC02253.jpg

DSC02246.jpg

DSC02248.jpg

my old man picked it up from an air force buddy back in 57'. he never fired it as long as he had it. in 97' i put box of 44-40 through it and was hitting 4" clays at 100 yards with every shot. not to bad for a 125 year old gun, i cleaned it and its been unfired in my safe since then

Nice!!! I have soft spot for the 1873's. I have the same round barrel rifle as yours that was produced in 1881. Unfortunately, there is little rifling left in mine....you are very lucky to have a shooter. I also have a matching 1881 Colt Lightning six shooter in 44-40 produced in the same year, complete with notches on the original grips. The pair makes for a great display.

thanks...times will have to be purity hard for me to loose this one. one day i will have a side arm to go with it..

i use to have a sweet 66 carbine in a display case..it wasnt a shooter but it did look good..this is back when my opinion didnt matter. my old man came home with it and had it over the fire place..my mother didnt like it there so he gave it away...why i do not know..

Very Nice!! I am envious!! and in 44-40 too. I took my lion with a 44-40 single actionrevolver this year.

That 73 is a classic and one to cherrish. Congrats on owning one of the best and thanks for sharing the pics.

Jeff

I'll check out there site.. But my plain is to keep the rifle as is.. When the time comes I'll let me kid shoot it and then put it away again

I'll check out there site.. But my plain is to keep the rifle as is.. When the time comes I'll let me kid shoot it and then put it away again

+1 good plan!! Please don't destroy that piece of history. Each little ding is a beauty mark of charactor. It would be great to know the story behind that mark on the stock. If that rifle could talk ..... man it could tell some stories.

Jeff

COngrats on a great old rifle. I just bought a m92 clone in 44 mag and cant wait to shoot it. Next levergun will be a repro 1873 in 44-40 for sure. 35 Apaches kept 5000 US Cavalry at bay for years with 1873 and 19876 Winchesters while the troops had the govt chosen sgl shot Springfield rifle. Says something good about old time leverguns

With the rifle as heavy as it is, and the light cow boy loads. It kicks less 22..with minimum report.. It was a blast to shoot.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.