180 TXS at 300 yards

Dave King

I got this picture from JWP13051 via e-mail I believe he'll make some posts with additional info.

300 Win Mag @ 300 yards.

11-5-2005-300-Win-Mag-300-yards-8.jpg

(Only one picture came in the zip.)

The load consist of Win cases,federal 215 primer,81 grains H-1000 velocity 3073 fps with and extreme spread of 5 fps A Mark X Mauser action with a Douglas XX barrel

That looks very similar to my results w/ a .300RUM shooting the same 180gr TSX. The gun belongs to a friend and I just did the load development. It's getting 3500fps w/ a stiff load of RL-25, Fed 215 and RP brass. The gun is a factory Savage 116BSS. Did not measure the group...it's only three shots...but I held a case next to the group for comparison. The range was also 300yds.

RUM-180TSX-300yds-2.JPG

That is some serious speed. What barrel lenght?I have gotten my 300 up to 3426 fps and that was all the pressyre she could. My barrel is 27.5' inchs including brake

Barrel length....26" factory tube...but I'm shooting a RUM.

BB...the little marks are from a 22-250 w/ 50gr V-Max's.

Now I know why you like the 300 WM. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Barrel length....26" factory tube...but I'm shooting a RUM.

BB...the little marks are from a 22-250 w/ 50gr V-Max's.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're way past your limit bud! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I worked up slowly and used the same 10 cases for all the load development. After three loads the pockets were still fine..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I worked up slowly and used the same 10 cases for all the load development. After three loads the pockets were still fine..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Dan I wouldn't be too concerned what POP thinks.There are manny on the internet that believe that if they have not seen it or experienced it then it is not possiable. My rifle will not get the speed that you are getting,but that does not mean anything to your rifle

Look... All I am saying is that 3500 fps with a 180 grain bullet out of a 300 RUM is not "natural" from a safety standpoint. I have worked with over 20 300 RUM's and I have never seen such speed safely. The most I have experienced with acceptable Case head expansion is 3350-3375 MAX.

BTW jwp475 :

What is there to see? I am not saying it is not possible because I have not seen it. I am saying it is possible but probably not safe! All you have to do is add powder to realize such speeds!
We are not talking about taking an elk at 800 with Matchkings here. We are talking about Physics! No one can fool or beat physics! No such thing as a free lunch remember? So if you do not understand my posts please do not patronize me.

Dan B,

Gentlemen,

In the most peaceful possible way let me say this, POP is right!!!!!!!!!!! I've also reached 3500 f/s with 180 gr. Barnes triple shock and definitely is not right… that's a time bomb especially with that powder which is temperature sensitive.
Three reloading and primer pocket still ok? Dan, what chronograph are you using?
The max range velocities that POP mentioned is what I had figured would be about max and equally safe. 3400 f/s out of a 26" barrel makes me nervous! I have been reloading for almost 35 years and I have always liked working up carefully to its very limits and obtaining 3500 f/s with 180 gr. Is doable, but not for me to carry around, I intend to live to get even older! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Respectfully,

Javier O Moncada.

Gentlmen...I respect the knowledge and experience on this website and WILL back down my RUM load.

BTW...I am using an Oehler 35P chrony.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.