Hornady 180 eld-m B.C. results at 1,000 yards(update)

Creedmoor shooter

I'm writing this post as there is not alot of information that I can find on real world testing of the 180 eld. I'll update this thread as I continue to shoot this bullet. Lastnight i decided to take it out to 1,000 yards after some pretty minimal load development out of my Remington long range 7mm rem mag 9.25 twist barrel. My 100 yard groups showed promise, so I took it out for distance. 67 grains of rl-26 gave me a velocity of 2958 fps over a magnetospeed chronograph. With all my inputs as correct as I personally can make them, I was running a G7 B.C of .395. This is not written in stone, and will test this further and do updates, but first impression is nothing short of impressive. I'm hoping to stretch it out to 1400 end of the week and validate this further. I'll also shoot this in different conditions as they arise. Bullet seemed to be fully stable in my 9.25 twist and groups were sub moa. Hoping to wack some deer with it this fall as well and see how that 180 eld performs. Just some initial thoughts on what I saw lastnight don't grill me too hard fellas.

Still gathering data on this bullet. Originally I thought I was going to be around. 395g7, but after further testing my results are showing I'm going to end up around a .360 g7. I'm hoping in the next month to get that number finalized in my rifle.

Still gathering data on this bullet. Originally I thought I was going to be around. 395g7, but after further testing my results are showing I'm going to end up around a .360 g7. I'm hoping in the next month to get that number finalized in my rifle.
Should have just checked out Applied Ballistics ha ha
Screenshot_20200311-093511_Applied Ballistics.jpg

Always good to validate though.

Lol ya guess I should have. I didn't think .395 could be right. That's why I test everything.
Hey, if you wound up at .360, then you know your testing methodology was spot on, you lined up perfectly with AB ha ha. To me, that is well worth it, now if there are other unproven projectiles, you know that if you do the same tests, you should wind up with a very accurate and reliable bc number. Time and components well spent!!

Hey, if you wound up at .360, then you know your testing methodology was spot on, you lined up perfectly with AB ha ha. To me, that is well worth it, now if there are other unproven projectiles, you know that if you do the same tests, you should wind up with a very accurate and reliable bc number. Time and components well spent!!
Good to know I'm doing something right😂

How do I find this data? Looks really useful!
I downloaded the applied ballistics mobile app 4 years ago. It costs like $20 or $25, seems expensive at the time for an app, but it can be downloaded on as many devices as you want, I currently have it on 3 different devices, and in the past have had it on 3 different phones now, and it retains your purchased custom bullet drag profiles ($1.99 each), and gives you hundreds of AB tested bullet G1 and G7 bc's like above, that are included with the app purchase. New bullets take a few months for them to get set up on and get their tested BC's, for instance, several of the Hornady A-Tip bullets are listed but not all, every now and again I get an update that gives me a few more bullets. Also, it uses your phone's internals to get atmospheric conditions, my phone gives my station pressure and I just estimate the temp and it is more than close enough. Calculates for temp sensitive powders, lower bc due to lack of proper twist rate, spin drift, aerodynamic jump, etc.

So $25 seems like alot to spend on an app, but after thousands of extremely accurate corrections, it seems like a rather good deal. Don't mean to sound like a used car salesman, sorry for that.....there is just a lot to it.

I downloaded the applied ballistics mobile app 4 years ago. It costs like $20 or $25, seems expensive at the time for an app, but it can be downloaded on as many devices as you want, I currently have it on 3 different devices, and in the past have had it on 3 different phones now, and it retains your purchased custom bullet drag profiles ($1.99 each), and gives you hundreds of AB tested bullet G1 and G7 bc's like above, that are included with the app purchase. New bullets take a few months for them to get set up on and get their tested BC's, for instance, several of the Hornady A-Tip bullets are listed but not all, every now and again I get an update that gives me a few more bullets. Also, it uses your phone's internals to get atmospheric conditions, my phone gives my station pressure and I just estimate the temp and it is more than close enough. Calculates for temp sensitive powders, lower bc due to lack of proper twist rate, spin drift, aerodynamic jump, etc.

So $25 seems like alot to spend on an app, but after thousands of extremely accurate corrections, it seems like a rather good deal. Don't mean to sound like a used car salesman, sorry for that.....there is just a lot to it.
Hmmmm that sounds like a really good app to have. I wish AB would include the bullet length, bearing surface, nose length, etc of the bullets they have tested in their app. I know Bryan Litz has books published with that data, but it would be nice to have a data base for that. Would make it much easier for figuring out some things for chambering, reloading, and comparisons.

Hmmmm that sounds like a really good app to have. I wish AB would include the bullet length, bearing surface, nose length, etc of the bullets they have tested in their app. I know Bryan Litz has books published with that data, but it would be nice to have a data base for that. Would make it much easier for figuring out some things for chambering, reloading, and comparisons.
They have the overall bullet length of all the bullets in their library, but none of the other figures. Aside from Berger, I don't know anyone else with all that data available for free or on their site, it takes research and looking up other peoples findings or calling bullet manufacturers. That would be nice.

They have the overall bullet length of all the bullets in their library, but none of the other figures. Aside from Berger, I don't know anyone else with all that data available for free or on their site, it takes research and looking up other peoples findings or calling bullet manufacturers. That would be nice.
Yeah Berger does an excellent job of doing that. I wish Hornady, Sierra, Nosler, and others would do the same. Maybe that will be a reality one day. I'm just surprised no one has done that yet.

Nice to know. 360 sounds good. I had best results with imr4995 and the 180eldm. Like stupid good.
I shot lots of deer and an elk with 225eldm. Great bullet for down range. Elk at 400 and no big bones and bullet lost a lot of weight. So probably not best for close shots. Had complete pass through on 2 deer at 860 but they were both drt. One at 1400 and also clean through and drt.

I may have to buy that app. I've been using 4dof but this looks like the next level
I know that it has always, and I mean always, been 100% for me. If my impacts and the app didn't align, I would always find something else that was causing it. I found one of my places I shoot has a consistent up draft at one location that, depending on the wind, can make nearly a full MOA difference of impact at about 500 yards. I love that it pulls atmospheric conditions from my phone (Samsung Note 10) and I can even have it set up to compensate for if my scope doesn't track right, as in say it adjusts .2515 MOA per click instead of .2500, it can account for that. If I have a suppressor, I can have the app adjust for any difference in zero I may have between suppressed or braked, etc. it will link up with a kestrel if you have one, and I am sure I am missing things. If my powder is temp sensitive, and changes say .7 fps per degree, it will compensate for that. Very, very useful tool.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.