180 Grain Bullet 3400 FPS or better

Just another thought relative to a 180 at 3400. How about a 196HH at 3150 out of a 300WM with RL26? That is my current load going forward. I do not see pressure at this velocity either. The 300WM, Hammers and RL26 seems to be shooting above its weight class for me anyway in 26" Sendero. Performance pretty much same at 1K but I prefer heavier bullets up close and personal. I might get more out of it with Peterson brass too which I haven't tried as of yet.

As soon as hunting is over, I will be stretching it out to see how it goes down range. Don't see why it won't!!

I believe
A 338 Lapua Mag or a Weatherby 340 Mag. Several 300 mags will shoot lighter rounds at over 3000 ft/s, but when you step up to the 180 gr you will need the .338 calibers to reach that velocity of 3400+
From all the input I've gotten on here, I believe it can be done via 7-300 Norma, 7-338, or 7-378. I don't want to sacrifice BC at the 180 grain mark. Would rather shoot a lighter higher BC Bullet versus a heavier/slower bullet to achieve that BC.

im a firm believer in max BC paired with max velocity. I don't like tracking and like them DRT out to 800 and beyond

My 6.5-300 is prolly all I actually need up to elk size game. 710 yards on a mule deer DRT. Disintegrated his throat, other vitals and off side shoulder. I aimed high lung/shoulder. ELDX broke his vertebrae and did all the internal damage at the same time. But I just want to build the baddest 7MM there is.

don't care about brass life,throat/barrel 𝗟𝗶𝗳𝗲, amount of powder it takes etc

My question would be: Are the 180 ELDM staying together at those velocities?

I'v had 175 ELDX', not reach the target at 3200 fps, in a 1-9 26" 28Nosler, then changed to the 180 ELDM, with the same charge at 3150 fps and no more bullet issue. It's now a great back-up load, since switching to the 195 EOL.

Sir. Is that with a 26" barrel that RP gets 3250fps? Been contemplating on of his 28 noslers
28" barrel, with R33 or Retumbo. Might get even faster with 869 if you don't mind the temp instability of it (1.5fps per degree... ouch)

However he's switched most of his builds over to 300 norma improved. Similar speeds to the 28 but from even heavier .30 cal bullets, and according to him it's a lot easier to tune loads for. I wouldn't know as I've never shot one of his in 300 norma improved, only one of his 28's.

28" barrel, with R33 or Retumbo. Might get even faster with 869 if you don't mind the temp instability of it (1.5fps per degree... ouch)

However he's switched most of his builds over to 300 norma improved. Similar speeds to the 28 but from even heavier .30 cal bullets, and according to him it's a lot easier to tune loads for. I wouldn't know as I've never shot one of his in 300 norma improved, only one of his 28's.
Thank you for the response. But i am not interested in any 30 CALS. 7MM. FAN HERE.

THANKS AGAIN

BRIAN

Ok OP. You talked me into it. I've gotta 7RUM in the safe that will be "our" Guinea pig . Got a fresh box of adg brass and some 180 Berger's. I'll let you know what it'll do all the way up to the point of having to beat the bolt open.
give me a few weeks to get it in my schedule.

Do you have any issues with your 28 getting accurate loads? How do you like his build?

Thanks
I was lucky enough to snag it used I think 3 years ago. I traded an older four wheeler for it. It already had the load development done for me by the first owner, but it shot .2 to.3moa as long as I did my part. But because of that I can't attest to load development difficulty. The build quality was the best I've ever owned. In Winter 2017 (end of 2017-Into 2018) I used it to take a nice big bodied cow elk in northern Colorado at about 650 yards. I think when I sold it there was roughly 600 rounds down the tube and it was still at least half moa accurate at 600 yards on paper targets. Maybe could've been better but I don't claim to be a perfect shot. Honestly probably would've been better if I adjusted the seating depth to account for the throat wear.

As to the build quality it was easily the nicest gun I have ever owned. I had to sell it along with at least half the guns I owned in spring of 2018 when I inherited my dad's ALS medical bills after his passing. Could've paid for them with the "estate" but the estate was his home and I was/am not willing to sell that for sentimental reasons.

I just tried to find photos of it to add to this post but there's thousands of photos on my computer and when they uploaded they got mixed all out of order and I can't find it. Beautiful gun though, his pictures on his website don't do his guns justice. If I find photos of it or the groupings I'll add them, I think I still have a target from it in my shop to take a picture of later today or tomorrow.

I was lucky enough to snag it used I think 3 years ago. I traded an older four wheeler for it. It already had the load development done for me by the first owner, but it shot .2 to.3moa as long as I did my part. But because of that I can't attest to load development difficulty. The build quality was the best I've ever owned. In Winter 2017 (end of 2017-Into 2018) I used it to take a nice big bodied cow elk in northern Colorado at about 650 yards. I think when I sold it there was roughly 600 rounds down the tube and it was still at least half moa accurate at 600 yards on paper targets. Maybe could've been better but I don't claim to be a perfect shot. Honestly probably would've been better if I adjusted the seating depth to account for the throat wear.

As to the build quality it was easily the nicest gun I have ever owned. I had to sell it along with at least half the guns I owned in spring of 2018 when I inherited my dad's ALS medical bills after his passing. Could've paid for them with the "estate" but the estate was his home and I was/am not willing to sell that for sentimental reasons.

I just tried to find photos of it to add to this post but there's thousands of photos on my computer and when they uploaded they got mixed all out of order and I can't find it. Beautiful gun though, his pictures on his website don't do his guns justice. If I find photos of it or the groupings I'll add them, I think I still have a target from it in my shop to take a picture of later today or tomorrow.
Thank you for that info but also sorry to hear it had to go and of your fathers ALS.

weatherbee----how long of a barrel are you wanting and or will you put up with?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.