180 Gr. Scirocco vs. Accubond

The 30 cal 180gr Scirocco II is one of the bullets I use in one of my 300RUM loads, and over a wide range of distances and game, it has performed well. Having a thicker jacket than the Nosler AB of same, it requires I drop my powder charge a few of grains to avoid excessive pressure compared to my AB loads.

On closer impacts at high 300RUM vels, the Scrirocco tends to perform better than AB's for me, as a couple of AB's have lost much more weight. But, the game certainly was killed.

Nice! Thanks for the reply. It shoots dead straight, so I think I have a winner. Shots on the right were my last 3 shot group. Made a few clicks and the pic on the left is my last shot. 3" high at 100 yards = 300 yard zero.

Attachments

• C10DB400-9BB7-407B-AE94-416BA3389A2B.jpeg
    C10DB400-9BB7-407B-AE94-416BA3389A2B.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 38
  • C2E90931-5FBE-411F-9607-2813E9F1B553.jpeg
    C2E90931-5FBE-411F-9607-2813E9F1B553.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 39
I can't speak to the heavier ones of your caliber, but out of my 280 Rem I have had good success with 150 Scirocco and 140 Accubond. Not exactly apples to apples, but maybe helps.

In 150 7mm swifts, did the trick on deer and elk. The only reason I switched to 140 AB was a little more velocity and I like to experiment with loads. I found a great load in the 140 AB and have stuck with it since. Great groups and performance on game with both.

Don't think you will go wrong with either.

I have read and experienced the scirocco is a little more temperamental on load development, but if you get it dialed in, great bullet. The temperamental part is seating depth. The AB seemed more forgiving on seating depth. I like to start at OAL that is SAAMI and work shorter. Scirocco likes more jump. It was easier to hit nodes with the Nosler at standard OAL. I have seen this in both my 280 and 30-06.

I can't speak to the heavier ones of your caliber, but out of my 280 Rem I have had good success with 150 Scirocco and 140 Accubond. Not exactly apples to apples, but maybe helps.

In 150 7mm swifts, did the trick on deer and elk. The only reason I switched to 140 AB was a little more velocity and I like to experiment with loads. I found a great load in the 140 AB and have stuck with it since. Great groups and performance on game with both.

Don't think you will go wrong with either.

I have read and experienced the scirocco is a little more temperamental on load development, but if you get it dialed in, great bullet. The temperamental part is seating depth. The AB seemed more forgiving on seating depth. I like to start at OAL that is SAAMI and work shorter. Scirocco likes more jump. It was easier to hit nodes with the Nosler at standard OAL. I have seen this in both my 280 and 30-06.
I start all my scirocco loads .050, and work back from there if needed

One of my longest shots on game was with a 180 Scirocco out of my 300rum.

Mv was 3350, shot was 450 yards, on a nice 6x6 bull elk.

Absolutely perfect performance out of scirocco, perfect mushroom,, something out of a magazine. Dropped him in his tracks.

These were the original version. Newer ones are a bit harder, jacket wise.
👍
I wouldn't hesitate to use either version out of a 300wby.

I also shoot the 165 Sciroccos out of my 30

Excellent question! I own a Weatherby MarkV in300 Weatherby mag,26inch Bbl with a 10 twist ! Buddy it's a great round to make hand loads for !! The Weatherby brass is vey good quality!!You might/ would shoot it more if you were not spending 140.00 a box !! Thanks again for a great question!!