180 grain nosler accubond vs 185 grain Berger VLD

matt_3479

I will be going on my first elk hunt and it will take place in montana during October 20th through 28th. i will be leaving on the 17th and driving out and hopefully will get a chance to scout a little. I will be taking my light weight browning A-Bolt 300. wsm topped with a Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50mm. I haven't had a chance to fire either of these through it yet and will try both. But if both shoot good would you suggest the Accubond or berger for shots most likely inside 350. If the opportunity presents itself past that and as long as its within 600 yards i will take it.

for a shot within 350 most likely but forsure within 600 would you choose the accubond or berger.

I will be going on my first elk hunt and it will take place in montana during October 20th through 28th. i will be leaving on the 17th and driving out and hopefully will get a chance to scout a little. I will be taking my light weight browning A-Bolt 300. wsm topped with a Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50mm. I haven't had a chance to fire either of these through it yet and will try both. But if both shoot good would you suggest the Accubond or berger for shots most likely inside 350. If the opportunity presents itself past that and as long as its within 600 yards i will take it.

for a shot within 350 most likely but forsure within 600 would you choose the accubond or berger.
Hands down for a hunting bullet vs target I'd go with the accubond. I'd also say give a hard took to the scirocco.

We use the 210 Berger in our 300's. I would encourage you to look into the 210's for elk. Many Elk are taken here each year with the 210's. Here are some results from last year.

My wife and her first ever elk at 415 yards.

DSC02764Medium.jpg

My Bull taken at 803 yards.

DSC02684Small.jpg

These are the Orange box Bergers clearly marked "Hunting" The ammount of game I , my wife and my son have taken with this bullet is huge and and tracking done, if any at all, was so short I would hardly call it tracking. I would not call these "Target Bullets"

That said the accubonds are a good bullet as well. I would shoot what is most accurate in your rifle at 600 yards. Then as with any bullet it is up to you to place it well. Watch the Acubonds plastic tips. They have been known to brake off in a mag box under recoil or in a pack if they are roughed around or layed on. All of the above stated is personal experience with both bullets.

Jeff

Edit: PS, the larger bull below in my signature was also taken with a 210 berger from a 30-378 at 250 yards DRT.

Last edited:
IMO I would for sure use the accubond. I as well use it in my 300 wsm. They have proven themselves many times over with me on elk. They hit very hard and your 300 will like them. I use H4350 at 57.0 grains. The velocity is a little slow at 2615 but its extremely accurate. Still carrying over a 1000 lbs of energy at 800. If your looking at 600 yards and in than you will be in good shape. I shoot paper all day at a 1000 yards with this hunting load. Im not saying anything about the Berger. They definitely have a higher BC. I have never used them, never had a reason to switch from the Noslers. But Broz has a great point, try them and see which one your rifle likes. Let it make the decision. Hope this helps.

Shoot the bullet that shoots the best in your rifle, both are great bullets. I tend to lean to the Berger HUNTING bullet because it has proven outstanding for me in both accuracy and terminal performance while not generating a pile of blood shot. But if my rifle doesn't like the Berger I go to the Accubond next.

I was a 300WSM shooter for a while and tried pushing the big bullets. I decided that if I ever go back to the WSM, it will be shooting the 185 Berger.

Tank

I know why most people like the win mag or bigger due to the ability of firing the larger bullets like the 210 but im not looking to shoot 1000 yards on anything not even targets right now. i was thinking of taking my factory 7mm mag and converting it to a long action 300. wsm for that reason (i really like the short mag for some reason) then i realized i might as well keep it as a 7mm mag change the stock, new barrel, new trigger, bed the action and fire 168 bergers. The ballistics on the 168 bergers are extremely impressive at about 3050 fps. Give or take 1100 fps and 1000 lbs of energy at 1000 yards where the 300. wsm is only about 850-900 lbs of energy and 915 fps at a 1000. I was thinking of making the 7mm my long range 1000 yard target and hunting, and the 300 light weight carry around 600 yard gun. or just get a 300 rum.

I know why most people like the win mag or bigger due to the ability of firing the larger bullets like the 210 but im not looking to shoot 1000 yards on anything not even targets right now. i was thinking of taking my factory 7mm mag and converting it to a long action 300. wsm for that reason (i really like the short mag for some reason) then i realized i might as well keep it as a 7mm mag change the stock, new barrel, new trigger, bed the action and fire 168 bergers. The ballistics on the 168 bergers are extremely impressive at about 3050 fps. Give or take 1100 fps and 1000 lbs of energy at 1000 yards where the 300. wsm is only about 850-900 lbs of energy and 915 fps at a 1000. I was thinking of making the 7mm my long range 1000 yard target and hunting, and the 300 light weight carry around 600 yard gun. or just get a 300 rum.
I now own a 7 STW and a 300 Rum pretty much for the reasons you state.

For what you are wanting I can't think of a better combination than the 7mag and 300 Rum.

The 7 mag can do anything you want on any game in N. America to 800yds with good confidence and results and the .300 Rum can handle anything else for another 400yds.

A guy can go bigger if he wants to but there's really no need.

Anytime I step past 1000 yards on an Elk I will be sending a .338. for a couple reasons. Out to 1000 I will use my 300. I might be a little overkill but the elk I have taken have not complained yet.

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.